B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Any recommendations for a new shifter boot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru
Default Any recommendations for a new shifter boot?

So my Osir Orbit V3 shift **** arrived yesterday and its awesome. I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship and machining. It feels solid in the hand, shifts are smoother thanks to the added weight, and it looks amazing.

The plug and play LED hookup is slick, but I wasn't able to route the wire without going outside the shift boot. The stock boot is also unable to slide down low enough on the shaft to allow the Orbit **** to be seated fully, so its a bit higher up than stock. I would either have to modify the stock one, or just get a new one! I'm opting to get a nice new one.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where to get one? I would prefer a custom made one for the B5, not some generic, universal fit boot that won't fit correctly.

I was looking at Redline goods - http://www.redlinegoods.com/. They look like they've got some nice boots and the price isn't too bad.

Lastly, anyone else have a custom shift boot and care to post some pictures? I'm considering a two tone look, black and tan to match the seats but I'm not sure. Maybe solid black with red stitching? Or should I just keep it clean and go with black on black?

Such a decision!

Oh and here's some ****. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures. Just got the boost gauge also, still need to hook it up though. Hopefully I can get to that today.

Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  100.9 KB
Name:  photo-1-1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  60.6 KB

Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Administrator

When I put my ****/short shifter in, I had to turn the boot inside out and hack off part of the plastic thing on the top of it to get the **** to sit where it's supposed to. You might try that?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Thats what I was thinking. I've been trying to think of a clean way to route the wire. I could cut a little slot further up inside the shift boot to allow the wire to sit between the boot and the shifter shaft, but I'm not sure if thats a terribly good idea.

Another option would be to drill a hole in the shifter shaft and run the wire up the middle..

Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Administrator

You'd have to have a pretty serious drill bit and a press to pull that off. I'd say cutting a small groove/hole into the shifter boot is a better idea. I think as long as you're careful you should be ok

Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Yeah, thats probably the better way to go.

I do have a drill press and bits, but that would be the more difficult route.

Any opinion on the new shift boot color?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Administrator

FWIW I got mine from www.shiftstyle.com. It's black alcantara with gray stitching and looks awesome. Think it ran me about $30 shipped or so and it's definitely worth it. I installed it over my OEM boot and I am really happy with it. IIRC they offer red stitching as well. Like CCA4 said, you can trim the upper ring on the underside of the stock boot and route the wiring that way.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I installed it over my OEM boot
Why'd you go that route?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Lol to be honest I don't recall but at the time there was a reason I did it that way (and it wasn't laziness).

Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

a likely story!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Uh huh. How's it feel to still be rockin the A8 brakes on a bookshelf a month after they arrived?

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for a new shifter boot?