B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 PM
1st Gear
Default any ideas

i have a 97 a4 and i'm trying to mod my dash to fit a double din raido any ideas?????

Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 AM
3rd Gear

Search Audizine.com for Double Din swap. I'll post the direct link later if you can't find it. The swap is easy but not cheap. I've completed the swap so I can give you a few pointers. Let me know.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:56 AM
3rd Gear

This is the direct link to everything you need to know about doing this swap.http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Console-Thread

As I indicated earlier, the swap is easy but can be pricy. Most of the parts can be found on eBay or in classifieds (AudiForums, Audizine, VWVortex, etc.) or even in a double din part out (like I found mine). Again, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

I agree with Obnoxious. The cheapest part of my swap was the radio. It took me a while to find the environment controls for the new setup. If you get the radio off ECS Tuning be sure you select the correct one. They have a couple of options.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by spcmky
I agree with Obnoxious. The cheapest part of my swap was the radio. It took me a while to find the environment controls for the new setup. If you get the radio off ECS Tuning be sure you select the correct one. They have a couple of options.
My HVAC controller was pricy as well and it still is the wrong version, but it works so I'm happy. Take a few days or weeks to compile all the parts so you don't end up doing the work twice like I did at times.

The next most difficult part will be the upper console surround. It will likely be pricy and tough to find.....but keep at it.

If you go the ECS tuning or eBay route for the radio unit be sure you get the correct unit. If you are not worried about keeping everything stock, there should be no issue.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

I want to thank you guys a lot for the ideas i have a double din after market radio. Question do i have to cut wires or do the connectors for the heat and top buttons fit in to the new one

Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jhonathan978
I want to thank you guys a lot for the ideas i have a double din after market radio. Question do i have to cut wires or do the connectors for the heat and top buttons fit in to the new one
By heat, I assume you mean the HVAC controller. Your existing wiring should work as most of mine did, but I had more issues as mine was a '96.

You will have to source new buttons for you fog lights as well if they are not the facelift variety, but again, your existing wiring will work.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

thanks a lot i am going to start looking for everything now i have pic up soon hopefully

Old 05-28-2011, 04:53 PM
3rd Gear

Sounds great, keep us posted.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

OK I've search all over found almost everything i needed but could not find the radio cage or a black console so I've decided to go with plan B. I'm going to keep my havc unit remove my ashtray and lighter put my hvac unit in there and that will give me the space i need above to install my doubble din radio

Quick Reply: any ideas