B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Any experience with combination HID kits on your other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Default Any experience with combination HID kits on your other cars?

OK, so I'm looking to add an HID set to a 93 Civic. The car uses a dual-filament halogen bulb (9003), and I want to add an HID setup using xenon low beam and halogen high beam (the dual-filament style for lack of a better reason). Due to the HID warmup, I don't want to do the bi-xenon setup on this car, both for the few seconds of delay on fire-up and for the fact that using the high beams as a "flash to pass" or similar function may wear the ballasts out prematurely. Have any of you had experience with these, whether in a car you own or in someone else's car? Any issues with them that you can think of?

I'm not concerned with install - that's a snap. Just general feedback about the functionality of the kit itself. I've done some reading on the various eBay ads fro these, as well as at VVME's website and at www.xenondepot.com, and the results were inconclusive at best.

Anybody have anything they can offer to help? TIA...

Old 12-28-2008, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear

Good God don't put HIDs in 15 year old Honda housings! Besides the fact that it'll look ridiculous (and that's the most important thing), have you ever had an HID'd Civic coming at you? It's horrible. And you're way more likely to attract police attention in the Civic than the Audi...they are, after all, illegal and you're not likely to fool anyone with the Honda. It's at least plausible with the Audi.

Having said that, I used a bi-xenon kit in my Subaru without any trouble. Couldn't say anything about the life span other than that in my year with that kit, I never had so much as a flicker. It was not, however, a VVME kit and while I probably won't buy another HID kit from anyone else, I don't think that theirs is the best out there.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear

I dont think you have to worry about any of those issues. Bi-xenons dont have two filaments or bulbs or anything, they have one bulb with an electronic deflector or tilt that moves a deflector out of the way for the high beam and moves it back for the low beam, or it tilts the bulb above/below a deflector. The bulb is always lit.

http://www.hidfoglight.com/customerS...VsBiXenon.html

Old 12-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned

i agree with sineo. dont put hids in your civic, theres a guy around town that got pulled over 4 times for them and he still wont take em out, plus the face he looks rediculous with them, i think his is a 95 civic, and there blinding as f%^k and i wanna smack him for doing that. if your going to get hids, get the projectors for your car first then get a 4500k -5000k kit then youll be ok.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I've given the advice to the owner about projectors first, but if that doesn't happen, then it looks like the xenons will still go in, and consequences aren't on me lol. Hopefully the projector idea will take root though - I agree it'd be much better that way. Thanks for the input

Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
...and consequences aren't on me lol.
Unless, of course, you're the one sourcing and installing them...

Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Administrator

You misunderstand the jist of my quoted comment (although I could've worded it better) - consequences as in tickets or police harassment. That's been made clear to the owner already.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 AM
5th Gear

i can see her saying, eff the police lol