B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

antifreeze is disappearing and turning black too

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default antifreeze is disappearing and turning black too

look man , wtf, im drivin my friggin 12v 2.8 (200K miles) and i park, walk away from the car and the whole hood is up in steam/white smoke, then the car starts pissin antifreeze on the ground.... 3 days later i flush the antifreeze and its kind milky, anyway, drive around the corner, car starts over heating> no smoke/steam this time> then i check the radiator resevoir and its like 1/5 full and its black not orange how its supposed to be, wats goin on ?? straight up opinions only dont tell me wut u think if u dont kno anything about it cuz a lot of u guys like dunt have anything nice to say about 12v's lol

Old 09-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Site Moderator

12v's suck

jk

Sounds like a bad head gasket!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 AM
3rd Gear

Are you sure it's black? The overflow tanks get old and crusty and can give the coolant a dark color when you look in the cap. Your coolant should be a pink to yellow-y urine color, depending on the manufacturer used. Drain it again and see what color it is.

As for the milky look, it means that it's aerated or contaminated. If your car has a bad water pump or a stuck T-Stat, for instance, the coolant will boil, the car will overheat, and it will pour out the overflow below the overflow tank.

The other case is a bad head gasket as onepoint8tee suggested. Pressurized air and/or oil will blow past the leaking seal and contaminate and aerate the coolant, causing it to turn milky and black. There is a simple tool most shops have to check for hydrocarbons coming out of the overflow, which will prove oil or gas is in the coolant, likely due to a bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. Another test is, obviously, to pressure test the coolant system. I have seen cars with bad head gaskets and cracked blocks pass pressure tests with flying colors, so be cautious here.

Other things to check are a bad oil cooler (depends on options) or a bad trans oil cooler (TIP only). Check your other fluids like your oil and trans oil for contamination or aeration.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
5th Gear

check your oil. if there's a milky substance in there its probly a blown head gasket.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Site Moderator

The fact that there was steam and it was pissing on the ground is a great indicator of too much back pressure in the coolant system often caused by a bad head gasket. On top of that you have brown coolant. Dead give aways. Replace your head gasket and go for another 100k Hopefuly you didn't drive it much after it over heated. You don't want a warped head.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Site Moderator

I totally agree - bad head gasket. Oil is getting into the coolant, overheating it very quickly.