B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Antidazzle side mirrors really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear
Default Antidazzle side mirrors really worth it?

My side mirror glass came from the factory with the antidazzle (autodim) feature. I need to replace both of them. The passenger side due to separation of the glass from the backing, making it look like hell with the colored liquid being visible and inconsistent. The driver side needs to be replaced due to severe shattering from a deer strike a while ago.

I normally like to replace all my parts with all the features it came with from the factory, if not more, but these mirrors are really expensive. Just having the antidazzle feature makes them $200 more than those without this feature. I know that it's supposed to dim the reflected light from other cars, but I think paying close to $400 is a little much just for mirror glass, especially seeing how I never even noticed this feature when I had it.

What do you guys think? Can you not imagine driving without mirrors that dim the light coming from behind you? I guess I'm just trying to see if anyone can talk me into spending this kind of money.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

I dont think mine have that feature, they are just heated. I am pretty sensitive to light at night, and if I have a car on the freeway that stays behind me I will tilt my mirrors down, I probably wouldnt have to with that feature. I would assume your rearview is automatically dimming too, but if you find yourself switching a manual dimming rearview mirror yourself alot because the light is too bright then maybe its worth it?? But thats alot of money to pay, depends on how much extra dough you have I guess haha, but if you didnt get that feature, just tilt them down if the light starts to bother you.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear

try to get some used ones

Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear

My rearview is also autodim, yes. I would see the autodim on that as being far more important than on the side mirrors.

My first instinct was to buy some used ones, but the typical life expectancy of the autodim worries me. If they were pulled off another b5 there's a good chance they wouldn't last much longer.

Does anyone know if the non-autodim mirror glass comes with some kind of a blue tint?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

I got my windows tinted, so I think I could get by without the autodim...:idk:

Old 04-10-2010, 12:07 AM
2nd Gear

I have them and they work well, but I know they are really expensive. It's a hard choice. You're really just paying for the anti-reflective yellowish tint. Maybe you can look into just getting a film like this to achieve low reflection. The film of mine are seem to be starting to wear and fade due to age.

In my old car, I used to be blinded all the time from cars following me. I have never had this problem or even really thought about it while driving my Audi. I do also have a tint on the windows.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:46 AM
2nd Gear

I have a similar issue and honestly, once I have the extra cash I am definitely going for full replacements. As mentioned in private things haven't been great lately but I couldn't imagine doing without the auto dimming. My drivers side is moody when it wants to dim, the passenger side looks like it started leaking out or some **** and the rear view well that just quit altogether. In short if you find a decent price let me know.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 AM
5th Gear

i think it's worth it because i can actually see what car is behind me. without the autodim, you just see a pair of lights staring at you.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:17 AM
vgo
2nd Gear

i wish i had those...

offtopic: btw hiwords how was ur stay at toronto

Old 04-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

IICR the antidazzle is driver side only. but anywho
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...erior/Mirrors/

Quick Reply: Antidazzle side mirrors really worth it?