B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Another one bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Another one bites the dust

I drive (or drove) a 2001 1.8tqm a4 sedan.
Driving home from my girlfriend's today, I was coming around a snowy corner at about 25 when the car in the opposing lane drifted into my lane. I swerved to avoid her, and ended up putting the rear quarter into the guardrail (at about 10 MPH). When the rear quarter hit, it swung the front into the snow bank. Dumb bitch didn't even notice that she caused me to wreck and just kept on driving.
I got out and checked the car, but didn't climb down into the ditch to get the rear bumper. It was driveable, so I ended up driving it home. Nothing seemed to be wrong mechanically, except the obvious damage.
Rear bumper is gone, passenger's side quarter panels are both toast, trunk lid may be salvageable, hood is questionable, passenger side lights are destroyed, and the front bumper needs to be replaced.
Do you think they're going to total my car?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:47 PM
5th Gear

dude that blows. i think they may total it. if you know ppl who can fix the rear quarter for cheap, i'd buy it back

Old 01-08-2011, 07:47 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Good possibility it will be more damage than they are willing to cover. The good news is that you can take their check, buy the car back, fix it yourself and come out ahead on the deal. You have to check about the legality as in some states you need to get a special salvage title for the car and you lose trade in value (private sale is still OK, but not as good).

Seriously makes you lose your faith in people when, not only are they incapable of driving within their limits. Knowing when the conditions are beyond their limits. Not realizing or acknowledging YOUR accident was THEIR fault. I would be sooooo pissed....

Old 01-08-2011, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
Seriously makes you lose your faith in people when, not only are they incapable of driving within their limits. Knowing when the conditions are beyond their limits. Not realizing or acknowledging YOUR accident was THEIR fault. I would be sooooo pissed....
Believe me, I was pissed. Still am, as a matter of fact. I just want to get out there and fix my damn car.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 PM
2nd Gear

happened to my mom once but not in snow, some dumb *** went into her lane and she tried to avoid hitting him. she ended up crashing into two cars parked on the side of the road. police came and she told them everything, wasnt her fault but didnt get paid for it since the other guy ran away..

Old 01-09-2011, 02:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Update- with pics

Picked up chunks of A4 from the side of the road today, and took some pics.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM
5th Gear

yeah it's definitely totalled but i don't see any frame damage. i'd buy it back to fix it and enjoy it. there's no sense in taking the money to buy another B5 and have to iron out the common problems that you've probably taken cared of on this one

how is the core support? i can't really see how it is from the pix

Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
1st Gear
Angry

Core support isn't 100% straight, but I'd consider it salvageable. I rigged up a spare rear light assembly and drove it to the body shop today. Car still drives perfectly, and I really don't want to see it get totaled.

I don't have a lot of experience with bodywork, but I've been pretty far into my 85 cressida (head gasket then crankshaft in a 2 month time period) and I'd say I'm very mechanically inclined. I'd rather deal with ABS modules and coil packs than body work. I only had the car about 8 weeks, and was ready to put a k04 in, but I doubt very much that I can do the repair work for this wreck myself.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear

Damn that hurts to see. That's always my biggest fear in the winter though, i trust myself but its the people around me that scare me.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

That's getting totalled out for sure. How are you going to get money if the lady kept going?

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust