B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

another Double DIN upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 PM
vgo
2nd Gear
Default another Double DIN upgrade

Sorry for the poor pics. It got dark pretty quickly, and working in 33'C heat was not fun. We managed to get the centre console out without removing the rear centre console...But i think its best to remove it.

Just curious if anyone else managed to removed the dash trim just by prying it. My friend manage to pry one end, but it seems like the clip from behind fell so now does not clip back in. I plan to put carbon fibre from ECS tuning on them, and paint the shifter surround and the trim around the ash tray to piano black. Should i take the pieces somewhere to get it painted piano black or is it pretty easy to do?

Attached Thumbnails another Double DIN upgrade-photo1062.jpg   another Double DIN upgrade-photo1067.jpg  

Last edited by vgo; 08-31-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear

Painting the trim should be pretty easy to do yourself. It's all in the prep work. I'm in the middle of the same swap, but mine is more in depth because I'm swapping all Pre-Facelift parts with Facelift parts. The HVAC controls do seem to want to cooperate.

Can't wait to see final pics. Let me know if you know anyone with a 99-01 A4/S4 black rear center console for sale.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

These pics make me cringe lol. More power to you guys for havin the minerals to try somethin like this, I'd be terrified.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

probably a silly question to ask, but will the Symphony 1 radio be a direct plug and play from my concert radio?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by vgo
probably a silly question to ask, but will the Symphony 1 radio be a direct plug and play from my concert radio?
I was looking at the back of both radios and it does look like they use the same 3 plug harness.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

I remember seeing a DIY about changing the trim. To properly remove all the trim pieces its much more involved, sorry I don't remember the exact steps to it. But try searching for a DIY.

I'm working on updating my interior, I haven't ventured into replacing the whole dash..yet. I just got my facelift vent housings the other day, need to install those. Finally received my leather samples from Redline Goods so I can figure out the color/material scheme I want for my shift boot.

I've already installed an AWE center vent boost gauge, Osir Orbit V3 shift ****, integrated iPhone holder and dock, chrome gauge rings, and red/white LED replacements. In talks right now to get a 3 spoke steering wheel.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:22 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

found it... for anyone doing this swap and need to know how to remove the interior, follow these instructions.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hortcut-Method

i've put the front centre console back and waiting for a radio and a donor for the shifter surround, maybe even the chrome trim around it. doing this made me realize how easy this was.

Attached Thumbnails another Double DIN upgrade-photo1075.jpg  

Last edited by vgo; 08-31-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM
3rd Gear

I just took my shifter surround apart to suede because the one I bought was wood trim and as typically expected scratched to all hell. Did you happen to purchase your surround from Tullin Concepts store on eBay??? They ARE great with parts.

I'm stuck with my rear center console as stated earlier. I see now that the later model B5/S4's mount up differently to the Double Din upper console. Why the f@*k would Audi change one side and NOT the other. The console I bought (eBay again) never showed me the broken mounting point on the passenger's side.

I wanted to avoid doing it but I may try to trim my old console to fit the one side rather than looking for another black console that will probably be in worse condition than my 96 console. I know many have asked about trimming the console, so back to search....

Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

VGO,

I just finished the swap to a double din. The Symphony and concert radio's use the exact same connections.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

thanks guys for reassuring me on the radio connections. got a few packages delivered today, one being the radio. still waiting for my shifter trim.

i did a trial on the 3M dinoc wrap. im contemplating if i should apply some clear gloss on it...

Attached Thumbnails another Double DIN upgrade-photo1088.jpg   another Double DIN upgrade-photo1089.jpg  

Quick Reply: another Double DIN upgrade