B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ANGRY AUDI OWNER! NEEDS HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default ANGRY AUDI OWNER! NEEDS HELP.

ok guys im in need of some help im severly pissed off.
ive decided its time. i own a 1996 audi a4 quattro 2.8 very possibly the cleanest car of that year ive ever seen. i bought it this time last year when i got out of the marine corp from an old man who realy took good care of it. untill today ive been very pleased witht the car it doesnt have alot of horsepower or getup but its fun to drive and handles awsome.

This past weekend i met up with a bunch of freinds and the old ricers crew had nothing better to do than rag on the audi. i know i cant beat these guys in speed in their super charged ricers in a long drive or autocross i would kill but not on a drag by a longshot. moving to tulsa this past year i didnt know that drags are the main thing around here because they dont have any real curves in the entire state.

heres where i come to my point.
its time to do some work to the audi! im up for switching over to a 1.8 turbo but im not sure why i cant get the horsepower out of the bigger 2.8. i need someone to explain this aspect of the engines to me. if i do go with a 1.8 where can i find a donor car and what exactly do i have to swap being that the a4 did come with a 1.8 option. and last but not least where would this put the car for get up and go.

bottom line i love working on the car im ready to beef it up but i come from michigan and i dont know german engineering as well as i should the principles are diffrent and i need to be baby stepped for a little bit so i can get the monster i know is waiting under the hood of this awsome car.

suggestions?

[IMG]local://upfiles/42272/2DB0F1B2318541C7AD68D1E267605E0C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: ANGRY AUDI OWNER! NEEDS HELP.

most people are gunna say sell your car for a 1.8 and check the newbie guide. all the info is in there.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

I think an engine swap would be just too technically demanding and cost-prohibitive to make it worthwhile. Sell the 2.8, pick up a 1.8T with as low mileage as you can find. Then amass a large pile of money... You're looking at least a few grand to make your car considerably fast. The newbie guides here list most of the best mods and their logical progression. Start with the small things like boost gauge, chip, and diverter valve to prepare your car for speed as you work your way up to the good stuff like coilovers and big turbos. If you want to have fun wrenching and improving your car it's gotta be a 1.8. After the first few mods it will be all that consumes your thoughts

Don't worry about those ricer idiots... Hondas can be fast but a stock beater A4 with a quarter of a million miles has more class, refinement, and style than 50 civics. At the end of the day they're just trying to make themselves feel better cause they're going home in their mom's old accord and you're mobbing in the masterpeice of automotive satisfaction that is an audi. Hondas are like the milwaukee's best of cars. Only purchased by people with no money and bad taste.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 PM
6th Gear

you can't get much more power out of the 12v 2,8l mainly because of the ECU, and the fact that for some reason no one ever made parts for it.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:24 PM

I never understand why people enjoy the concept of Drag racings....

do cars ONLY drive in straight lines or what? what's the point of the frigin steering wheel then?? If you wanna kick ricer's *** in drag racing you might as well find some american muscles for the job.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 PM
CIA
1st Gear

+1 sell the 2.8

A they own shitvics, fine, you own class. You have probably a much nicer, comfortable, prestigious car. Let them talk.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 PM

+1 to the much nicer, comfortable, prestigious car.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 PM
2nd Gear

It's easy to make power on a turbo charged motor. You can up the boost for more air, throw more fuel in to compensate, adjust the timing more, and open up the exhaust and huge power gains are achieved.
VR6t would be a better swap if you were doing a motor swap.

I would suggest taking your 12 valve to VIP status and letting the ricers **** off.
Can someone post some VIP pics; I, for some reason, can't find any right now.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 PM
6th Gear

there aren't many VIP b5's around that I can think of.

I personally want to go in that direction, and I know there is the one on the zine from Norway. I can dig up some B6's and B7's if ya want.

b5 (man I've been posting this one a lot latley, it's a good thing I never get tired of looking at it)

VIPish

b6
Name:  DSC_0802.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  87.9 KB

b7

VIP D2 (I think, I'm not real good with the A8 codes)

and a VIP merc for fun

Old 04-09-2008, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear

Gorgeous. All of them. I say, take the 12 valve to baller status.
Reasonable drop, classy large wheels, tint, smooth it out, and cruuuuuise. Speed has never done for me what rolling in class does.

Quick Reply: ANGRY AUDI OWNER! NEEDS HELP.