B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Alternator done confirmation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Alternator done confirmation?

So ive been having this awesome volts issue, ended up getting a brand new battery, cleaned ALL of the ground connections on the car as well as the main alternator wire, terminal cables(even neg cable to body)....car was running amazing, almost flawless to say....anyway, tonight I believed my alternator tapped out on me. I was sitting at drive thru, idleing fine, volts @12. Then after I got out on the road the volts fell(and I mean straight instant fall....not a slow steady volt drop....instantly) and the battery light came on, radio shut off, and then the trans bucked like a ***** ....then all the dashlights,headlights shut off.....no throttle response either. Then as im coasting @25 in what I assume is "limp mode" then it died.

Coasted into a turn off.....put my battery jump pack on the car...fired up. Running great @12v.....soon as I took off the neg jumper...volts fell once again to nothing. So considering I was about a mile from my house....i put the jump pack on my windshield,fed the cables thru under back of hood...hooked thm up,droppd hood and putted it home just fine with no problems. Knowimg the drive wouldnt have charged ****, took off the neg jumper again....and we was back at nothingness on the V meter.

Jus needing a quick confirmation its my alternator so I can start prepping for my breakdown for the job.

Also, I have a 01 A4 quatt 2.8. Ive seen 90A and 120A. Whats the diff? What would occur from a 90 bein put into a 120 car...and vice versa? Which do I have?

And lastly, I have receipt from where the alternator was put on and was new when done so exactly 2yrs ago next month. Brand new and needs possibly replaced 2yrs later? Car always ran up around 14v when bought by my brother 5yrs ago,now since the old died and new ome done....it always ran at 12-11v? New alt done exactly 2yrs ago and its bad? Could thatve been a 90 into a 120? Thanx guys

Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 AM
1st Gear

From what you described It seems that the issue is the alternator however you also mentioned that you recently got a new battery and all new connections. Were all the new wires put in properly, check through all the wiring to make sure. I would start with the alternator to battery connection. Do you have an aftermarket system, subs, amps? If so, maybe not enough power is going through.
I have a sub and two amps in my car and I'm always on 14 volts without any issues.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

Yea, I got a new battery,replaced under warranty. The wires and connections werent replaced-but everyone was removed,cleaned(one at a time) then reinstalled exactly where removed.

Im thinking the alternator is cooked because I got the car from my little brother about 4-5mnths ago, and I talked to em bout the recent issue and he told me that for the 6mnths prior to me getting it, he had to jump the car no mattr where he,had to go/came from etc. Long story short, he ddnt know his battery still had a warranty. So jumpimg a car 10-20x a day, everyday for 6mnths at,the least.....deff was a hard task on,the alternator.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Administrator

You could always take it to Advance or Autozone and have it tested?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

I can try and do that. But will have to take it off and still break it down to service mode. I tried to bo to my brothrs house,whom lives on,the same street bout a block away and it died n,the middle of the road halfway there. Put the jumppack on it,fired up and I finished the drive that way jus to park it.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

No you don't have to take it off. Charge the battery and go right there during the day with no radio. Usually a bad alternator wont just kill everything at once, your lights will slowly dim over about 5-10 mins and then shut down. Double check all your connections recharge the battery and drive it to an autozone/advanced auto and have then check it before you replace it. Good chance it could be it but check it first.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Getting battery chRged today. Gna see what is the biz with the car. Tried to jump it this morning and it was 7* outside, and for some reason Audis dnt like the cold (at least mine nevr has as its always been a bitch to start in,the cold) and it ddnt start. Im almost done with this car f'real. I lovd my Audi but really.....come on,seriously? Bouta scrap it bcuz im fed the F up

Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Well.....got battery charged to take it up to get the alt tested, get home n throw battery in......awesome **** happened-car turns over but wont start now. What in the hell?