B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

All electronics cut out when I try to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013 | 04:29 AM
|
1st Gear
Unhappy All electronics cut out when I try to start

Hi,

I own a 1996 model A4 B5. I've been noticing over the past week that my battery has been slowly losing charge whilst driving, as well as the temperature warning light coming on when I would start - i'd get a beep, and the temperature light would flash as long as the car was running, and if I turned off the engine but kept the internals on I got about 30 seconds of constant beeping followed by about a minute of one long beep then another 30 seconds of constant beeping. This on its own was annoying enough, however:

The other day I went to move it and it started up ok for about a minute then it completely cut out, all electronics, engine, everything. I went to restart and got absolutely no response to turning the key. I took the battery off and charged it up overnight, hoping that was the problem, but I just went to start it again and I got the same thing (except that this time the car didn't actually start - the engine began to crank and then nothing but blackness). I disconnected the positive terminal and reconnected and then turned the key again. Got all internals, lights and dash, until I tried to start the engine, then the same thing. I've got no real knowledge of Audi electronics, and I'm pretty worried about what could be happening here, especially considering I live an hour away from the nearest Audi dealer and no mechanics in my area will touch the things. Any ideas/help at all???

Matt.

Old 05-20-2013 | 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Start with something simple. Clean up your battery posts and connectors so you know there's a good connection there.

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:38 PM
Administrator

There's a chance the ignition switch electronics are shorting out. It could explain all the symptoms you're seeing, and they're known to fail.

Old 05-22-2013 | 07:55 PM
|
1st Gear

Tried cleaning all the connectors like jeckel suggested and got nowhere. I called the local autoelectrician and he suggested that there may just simply be a dead cell in the battery. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and turned the key and it started! Out of curiosity, however, I disconnected the battery while it was running and it completely cut out again. That would suggest that the alternator is at fault, yes?