B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

aledelic42's timeline.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
3rd Gear
Default aledelic42's timeline.

I'm bored, and lately a bunch of people have been asking me questions about things I have done to my car so I figured I'll make a timeline. (56k gtfo!) ...

Completely stock 4x4 goodness. Got the car as a gift in April 07 from my (pretty wealthy) uncle that didn't want it any more. 97 2.8 A4 Quattro manual with around 80k miles in pretty much mint condition beside paint chips and such. This is my first car from the age of 16, I got lucky.

First things I did to the car were get rid of the stock headlights and taillights and gave it a good clean up/detailing job. Black Sonar projector headlights with halos and smoked InPro taillights.

Magnaflow 14815 muffler with stock piping and mid resonator. Also smoked side markers.

Bad picture, K&N 57i air intake kit and repainted the intake runners silver.

RS4 grille.

Got tired of the smoked taillights so I sprayed the stock ones red and put them on.

Covered the rear deck in paisley.

FINALLY got low. V-maxx coilovers. For people wondering, the ride is alright with them, it's pretty rough but I've gotten used to it. The front is sitting on the bumpstops and it makes it quite bouncy. I'll either cut or remove them eventually.

Panzer skid plate. A definite necessity for the roads where I live.

After getting the skid plate I felt safer so I went a bit lower. ~22.8" ground to fender front and ~22.9" rear

Redded 98.5 taillights.

Sold the halos to get one piece Depo/Helix "e-codes". This is how the car currently sits, except it's not drivable. Power steering pump blew and I tried fixing it but ended up stripping threads and all of the fluid leaked out so I'll need a new one. It has other problems too. The AC compressor is messed up and gives a whiney sound that makes the car sound old and junky, I have been able to convince some noobs it was the sound of a supercharger though And from what I have researched I guess my EGR valve needs cleaned (a common 12v problem apparently). Not sure if that's the only cause but I'm hoping it's at least the main cause of why the car stalls out some times, doesn't always start up and releases black smoke from the exhaust from burning oil.

Other mods along the way:
One 10" subwoofer with a super cool sound sensitive blue cathode light in the trunk
White led license plate lights
Swapped all interior lights with "real xenon gas filled" bulbs
Ebay short shifter
Painted brake calipers black because they were all rusty looking
Some stickers
Maintenance and repairs
Maybe other things I'm forgetting?

Waiting list:
Chrome 1pc Depo/Helix headlights with 6000k VVME HIDs and led city lights
Power steering pump
Detail job
Other repairs

Wants:
Black suede for the headliner and all pillars
Textured S4 sideskirts
S4 grille
New pointless Audi emblem that I lost some time for the passenger side fender
Euro trunk lid off a 96 or shave the bottom lines of the current lid
Euro gauges/a speedometer that reads km/h
Other interior goodies
New wheels and rolled fenders to fit them
Car in perfect working condition

This car is costing so much to own as an 18 year old senior in high school with a low paying job. Yes I do pay for all my repairs and all and I do diy as much as possible. No I don't drive like some teenage idiot. Sorry for the not so great picture quality. They were either taken with a phone or a cheap 5mp Fuji I got years ago and touched up with my minor photoshop skills. I'll keep this updated.

Last edited by aledelic42; 06-29-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 PM

the timeline is a really neat idea!
car looks great at least, sorry to hear about all the repairs it needs

Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

def looks good.. youre doin pretty well for just bein 18 man congrats.. if you were higher off the ground would the ride be better on the Vmaxx's? i dont plan on slammin my car at all but i want a nice stance and i just wanna make sure the Vmaxx coils will ride decent without being slammed..

Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by compmanben
the timeline is a really neat idea!
car looks great at least, sorry to hear about all the repairs it needs
Thanks for the compliment! Yeah I don't really get why like nobody else does timelines/build threads on this forum.. Maybe this will start a trend

Originally Posted by osin34
def looks good.. youre doin pretty well for just bein 18 man congrats.. if you were higher off the ground would the ride be better on the Vmaxx's? i dont plan on slammin my car at all but i want a nice stance and i just wanna make sure the Vmaxx coils will ride decent without being slammed..
Thanks also. I would think that the ride would be much more comfortable if they were not so low.. They use the stock spring rate so it shouldn't feel much different than stock. I have heard people say that vmaxx rides smoothly when not slammed. I'm pretty sure the biggest reason why it's bouncy for me is because I'm riding on the bumpstops.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 PM
3rd Gear

Anybody ever replace a power steering pump...? I'm looking at instructions and it looks pretty difficult

Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 AM

Beautiful car man, especially for an 18 y/o. I'm 19, working 2 jobs and going to school, my car is a PITA on upkeep. Insurance is expensive under my name, and I'm tired of it not running perfect. I'm contently thinking of purchasing a JEEP right now, but don't want to give up my Audi as I do love it alot. I'm just so exhausted money-wise from the repairs.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 96A4Owner
Beautiful car man, especially for an 18 y/o. I'm 19, working 2 jobs and going to school, my car is a PITA on upkeep. Insurance is expensive under my name, and I'm tired of it not running perfect. I'm contently thinking of purchasing a JEEP right now, but don't want to give up my Audi as I do love it alot. I'm just so exhausted money-wise from the repairs.
I'm tired of mine not working too I wish these cars were so much cheaper.. Audi > Jeep still.

These headlights will be the last thing I buy for the car until I get everything fixed and running normally (I think).. I mainly got them for HIDs because they'd definitely help while night driving.. The roads need carefully watched while low.

Last edited by aledelic42; 05-01-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 AM
2nd Gear

cant wait to see the headlights and HIDs in.. and yea that sounds right with the Vmaxx riding better when not so low.. i was hoping for that answer cause i wont be going anymore than prolly 24" GTF.. anyways congrats on the new headlights, hope the car gets running good asap..

Old 05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Site Moderator

how much did the vmaxx coils run? i've been debating gettin some

Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear

I got the vmaxx coils on a one day sale for $450+shipping from stratmosphere.com. I think they're either $600 or $650 +shipping now. If you email them you could probably make a deal and lower the price a little bit, their customer service is pretty impressive.

Quick Reply: aledelic42's timeline.