B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Alarm going off randomly

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:48 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Alarm going off randomly

Mine has never gone off becuase my hood has been open. Huh.

But when i first got the car it was summer time and i would always have my windows down it would go off. That was confusing but i shortly figured out my car had a motion sensor and after the light would start to blink slow by your lock that means it was activated.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

Does the red light on the sensor switch mean it is off or on?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:15 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

i think the red light on the sensor will always have the light on, regardless if the sensors are activated or not.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

OK, now it does not beep and the lights don't flash when I set the alarm??????????????

Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

No, the red lights goes off and on as you press the button

Old 03-08-2008, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

If the horn isnt honking, whatever was setting the alarm off is constantly in the open position now. (Meaning you could probably leave it now becuase it wont arm whatever section it thinks is open, meaning you wont get any more false alarms) If your lights are blinking by the doors when you lock it, its either they hood or trunk switch, if they dont its a door switch. Your gonna probably have trouble tracking it down if its not the trunk or hood. You could use a multimeter to test all of them, however the easiest would to use a VAG-COM or find someone with one, it will tell you exactly what sensor or switch is faulty.

P.S The button is always backlit, but when the additional light is on (+plus a constant illumination of the light by the door plunger when the button is presed) then the sensors are OFF, when the additional light isnt on it is ON. Also when you lock the doors, the pre-blink (by the plungers) will be different than normal (it blinks faster before its armed), i believe it doesnt blink for a while if you turn the sensors off, then it will blink normally after a while.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

^ phew i thought my button was busted cuz the light is constantly illuminated. i mean it would make sense if its always oncuz i realized, just about everything that's lit is a button(which I LOVE)

Old 03-15-2008, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

OK, nothing has worked so I'm guessing it is the hood sensor. Where is it located and what does it look like?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rkh3
OK, nothing has worked so I'm guessing it is the hood sensor. Where is it located and what does it look like?
Anyone?

Old 01-30-2010, 04:39 PM

rkh3, Did you find anything? My 01 A4 started doing the same thing, for a couple days I disconnected my battery and manually locked the door (that is a pain), then I just parked it in the garage with doors unlocked and drove my other car for the past few weeks, I didn't have time to look at it. I was just going to drop it off at the dealer and fork up the money if I had to.

Quick Reply: Alarm going off randomly