B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Airbox flapper removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear
Default Airbox flapper removal

The only mods I could find were to add a flapper, not remove one.

The picture below shows what I plan on doing. It seems to be very similar to the darintake airbox mod or may even be one of the many variations that have already been done. Does anyone see any potential problems with this particular mod, or have any suggestions to make it better? I plan to sandwich a piece of screen or filter between the foam seal and the airbox to cover the newly added hole. I also plan on using a vented wheel liner instead of just making a cut out in it.

Name:  Airboxflappermod.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  26.7 KB

Old 07-13-2009, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

im not 100% sure on what you are trying to do, you say you cant find any ways to remove a flapper, though you sound like you want to add one.

all that aside though, what would be the point? the swiss cheese airbox mod is ok because its free and takes 45 minutes and a drill. the stock airbox flows plenty of air for any K0x or even elim turbos. this sounds like an awful lot of work for no gain. even worse- now you have a large hole for water to splash up into and contaminate your MAF.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM
4th Gear

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hlight=flapper

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hlight=flapper

------------------

I wouldn't cut the whole area out, just a 2-3" round hole. Cant quite see your box, but if that round indent is closed off and there's room inside I'd just open that up.

Drill a 1/4" drain hole in the bottom of the box.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

I've heard of people on other forums cutting holes even larger with no screens or anything, and having no problems. I was going to use the vented wheel liner so the fins would deflect potential water intrusion. Isn't that round thing protruding from the back of my airbox a flapper? What does it do? This would be just like the swiss cheese mod, just a little cleaner looking and maybe even a little more airflow. I know it won't give me any real gains, I just want it for the sound.

The pic is of the bottom/backside of the airbox with the wheel liner peeled back.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear

Bump.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

why not just put an air intake on it?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

Price.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 AM
2nd Gear

I kinda forgot about this thread for a while, but I'm back. Anyone have an answer for my last post?

I'll be glad to clarify any uncertainties you guys have about what I plan on doing.

I guess I just don't understand why the flapper's opening is pressed up against the fenderwell. Doesn't seem like it would draw any air like that.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by a2thy
I kinda forgot about this thread for a while, but I'm back. Anyone have an answer for my last post?

I'll be glad to clarify any uncertainties you guys have about what I plan on doing.

I guess I just don't understand why the flapper's opening is pressed up against the fenderwell. Doesn't seem like it would draw any air like that.
have you done ther mod yet if so what was the results?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear

Not yet, I made this thread just to gather as much advice as I can so I don't make any mistakes. I know it's easy to mess up intake related components when doing mods like this, so I don't want to take too many chances.

I just want to know what my airbox flapper does (if anything) before I remove it.

The only potential problem I could see with my particular mod would be using the vented wheel liner instead of the "swiss cheese" method. I think the vented liner would give a cleaner look, but I fear it may also create a vacuum, pulling air out of the airbox instead of allowing more air to enter.

Quick Reply: Airbox flapper removal