B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Air box mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Air box mod

Hey can someone give me the links for the air box mod, the one in the newbies guide has no pics...... i need pics or can someone give me instructions... also does it make the turbo more audible?

Old 09-25-2010, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

it does make the turbo more audioable and it's better to have a dermal tool trust me i did it on mine and it will go way faster and also if you want you can put a piece of screen on the opening you did to protect it...Either way it's your choice i put two screen's one inside the fender where i did the opening and a other one in the hole that i made on the air box

and hear is one
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2260654

Old 09-25-2010, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

im gonna make bigger holes in the fender but yea i might double screen it i live in Iowa and it snows and rains a lot, gonna be careful. Thanks for the link, how did you do it?

Last edited by czum09; 09-25-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by czum09
im gonna make bigger holes in the fender but yea i might double screen it i live in Iowa and it snows and rains a lot, gonna be careful. Thanks for the link, how did you do it?
Well i basically disconnected all the hoses made sure that all the hoses stayed in the same place.Then I took apart the airbox disconnecting all the strap's and everything and....on my car there was a single bolt holding my airbox in so i took it out and the air box should just come out i have a 2001 1.8T i dont know if there might be more bolts on your's and i basically just took out everything. OK and for the hole in the airbox i just cut out a giant piece out of the bottom i didnt put any hole's in it at all and my air box sits a bit lower due to the fact that it's missing the bottom half but once you connect it back it all look's stock lol and for the fender i made a bunch of Little holes and i put a screen over the hole's and glued them in with liquid PVC glue (Worked Great) Then for the airbox hole i did the same thing lol oh and this would be a good time to also clean your MAF but be careful dont damage the MAF becuase a 10 dollar job can turn into a 75 dollar night mare and some down time for your car (If you dont know where the MAF is it's at the top portion of the airbox it's a littil small tube shaped thing and then just reconnect everything and boom your ready to go.

Oh and when you turn it on for the first time turn the key but dont turn on the car wait a minute and then turn on the car and wait....the car will sound different and the RPM's will be elevated a bit but that's just the MAF and the ECU adjusting to all the new air that you just gave it let it idle and for a while and when everything goes back to normal give it a test

Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Mod?p=1992890

This is the type of hole that i made on mine

Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

Double post

Old 09-26-2010, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear

The stock 1.8t airbox with snorkel in place flows way more than a stock turbo or k04 will put out. No adjustments in the ECU will happen if you do this.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tweaked
The stock 1.8t airbox with snorkel in place flows way more than a stock turbo or k04 will put out. No adjustments in the ECU will happen if you do this.
You can hear the turbo spool a little more, other than that tho your right our airbox rocks!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Just got it almost done I def hear a difference more growl Gotta go get screens, widow sealant and hoses

Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

Got everything I need, oh btw I can def hear a DV sound its amazing, gonna add more holes and hoses tomorrow!!!