B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Air Bag igniter resistance too high !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Air Bag igniter resistance too high !!

did anyone figure out a fix to this my airbag light just turned on, ran vagcom and got code 00588 resistance too high but my horn works, and when i turn my steering wheel it turns on randomly, i had to remove the fuse for it, im guessing its a loose wire behind the steering wheel because im getting a weird sound through my speakers because of my system, one more thing to note when im on the highway the weird interference note comes on and off leading me to believe its a loose wire at the steering wheel, any thoughts??

and can someone please chime in its like impossible to get feedback on here sometimes

Old 08-31-2013, 02:31 AM

Have you tried clearing the code to check if it comes back? It might just be an intermittent thing.

Also I deleted your post in the other thread, no need to ask twice.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by GusTaVz_a4
any thoughts??
I have two thoughts:

1. If your horn is erratic and you are getting a code about the driver's side airbag, consider that they both go through the clock spring that connects the steering wheel to the rest of the wiring harness. I think you have a new clock spring in your future.

2. If you have trouble getting a response on here, start your posts by telling us what year and motor your B5 is. And I don't mean to sound like your 6th grade English teacher, but you wrote one, long run-on sentence. It's very hard to read what you write. I can't tell if the horn turns on randomly, or if you just mean the air bag light.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by GusTaVz_a4
can someone please chime in its like impossible to get feedback on here sometimes
Ok, here goes, but with a tutorial: The "clock spring" is a long ribbon of laminated plastic with copper foil conductors down the middle. It is rolled up into a coil, with one end mounted to the plastic case, and the other arranged to rotate with the movement of the steering wheel. At each end are brass connector pins stapled through the plastic/copper/plastic laminate, with much less metal-to-metal contact compared to a crimped wire connection. So after years of vibration, the connections can eventually become intermittent.

I've had the clock spring out of my car for the same reason, and even peeled back enough of the plastic ribbon to solder the pins directly to the copper foil. This worked for awhile, but the problem came back again. On VAG-COM, I can watch the rediness code of the driver's side airbag, and see the numbers change as I move the steering wheel. Your best solution is probably to install a new clock spring assembly.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

Ok so sounds like a new clock spring, thanks for the feedback. Ive also read that it could be a loose wire in the harness that's causing it, I'm going to tackle this tomorrow and will update with a solution hopefully

Last edited by GusTaVz_a4; 09-01-2013 at 11:00 AM.