B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Aftermarket Radio Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jskinny
if your rear speakers are powered by an amp then i think you need this kit

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...g-Harness.html

where you connect the plugs from the red harness to your aftermarket receiver for the front and rear speakers. its hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like you have the black wiring harness but not the red one.

id also recommend just going to circuit city or best buy and asking them if they have what you need and then if they give you the wrong thing you should be able to return it, though id ask about the return policy first
Thanks, I tried Best Buy the other day and the guy brought me out the same thing I had (the black harness). I will try Circuit City or crutchfield. I don't see an amp in my trunk but the drivers side rear speaker does have a small metal cage like deal that has a little bit of circuitry in it, looks more like a high pass-crossover type circuit rather than an amp?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:16 AM
4th Gear

i think the red one is the 6disk changer.

and that 2nd cable with the rca cables is the exact one i have, but still havnt gotten around to connecting it...

and yea that metal cage is the amp

Old 12-31-2008, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

the red one coming from the car is the cd changer so that wont plug into your new radio.

if you dont have an amp in the trunk then im not sure that the cable i was talking about would help but if it doesnt work without it then its probably worth a shot. I guess id check with circuit city or crutchfield first though

Old 12-31-2008, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

First, thank you for helping me out here. Second, sorry if I'm being a PITA. I thought I had a large black plug coming from the car but it is actually multi-colored. I tried to take some more pics so you can see what all I have here.

Everything that comes out of the OEM radio area (minus red CD changer plug):

Name:  SamsungInstinct010.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  SamsungInstinct017.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  74.4 KB

Multi-Color Plug (the one I thought was black you referred to):

Name:  SamsungInstinct012.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  SamsungInstinct011.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  65.5 KB

These 2 plug into the harness that came with my kit.

Name:  SamsungInstinct013.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  55.7 KB

Should I order one of the kits from Crutchfield mentioned earlier or can I tap into the OEM wires on the multi-color plug to power the rear speakers?

Old 01-01-2009, 03:28 AM
1st Gear

For now I just ran speaker wire to the back speakers from the HU. I was able to crip on some female ends and push them onto the stock speakers so I didn't have to cut anything or mess anything up. As soon as I get it all figured out I can just unplug the wires.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

The amp on the rear speakers is not going to be close to the same quality as the new one from a after market deck. A factory amp from 1999 compared to a 2008 amp built in to a deck or not is going to be cleaner sounding and will be more powerful. I would bypass the amp its simple to do and worth it unless the deck you are putting is is a piece.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:27 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by george3.3
The amp on the rear speakers is not going to be close to the same quality as the new one from a after market deck. A factory amp from 1999 compared to a 2008 amp built in to a deck or not is going to be cleaner sounding and will be more powerful. I would bypass the amp its simple to do and worth it unless the deck you are putting is is a piece.
Um ya... 20 watts rms per channel from a new head unit is not enough for those rear speakers... At least thats what most of them are on average. Also your already using its 4 channels for the front speakers and tweeters and rear door speakers not enough power left for the rear deck.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

20rms of qulity is much better then 100 watts of crap its a fact and the power coming from new decks is more then enough for those stock paper cone speakers. Also the fronts run off of the same lead so he does not need 4 channels up front.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear

You will either blow the new head unit w/ too much load or wont be able to hear the rear deck speakers at all. Also like I mentioned you are not going to get 20 rms to the rear deck you will be getting more like 10w per speaker as your sharing 20 per side w/ 2 speakers per side ... thats nothing!

Last edited by somebody5788; 01-01-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Of the years that I have installed car audi/visual I must have learned nothing. If it was a newer car I would suggest going through the amp but it is 10 years old the speakers in these do not draw like a set of after market seperates sorry to burst your bubble if he wants to install the adapter that is fine it really could save him time espesially if he doesnt have much experence but really he needs facts not some bs that a salesman would give just to sell him a $30 part.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio Install Help