B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

aftermarket headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 PM
1st Gear
Default aftermarket headlights

I've got a 97 A4 Quattro. Can anyone tell me if later year OEM headlights work with this model, and does anyone have any resources for aftermarket headlights? I have found a few, but they say I need to modify the car to make them fit- but I can't get an answer as to how much "modification".
I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:33 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: aftermarket headlights

You can buy 2-piece Depos on eBay for around $150 shipped. Or you can find OEM Valeo 1-piece headlights (price will vary a lot), but those will require you to trim away excess metal from the fender. You can find the DIY guide for the procedure on audidiy.com. Those aren't the only two options, but basically, any 1-piece set-up will require the same modification and any 2-piece set-up will require none. In either case, you will lose your foglights since they're built into your current headlights, but if you can find an OEM set at a price you can live with, installation is pretty simple (and the DIY is on the same website as above).

Old 05-03-2008, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

Ok this helps- the DEPO lights look nice. Just have to think about losing the fog lights....
Thanks again

Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 AM

i have 2 piece depo's... u dont lose the fog lights...

Old 05-04-2008, 12:08 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: fumoazul99

i have 2 piece depo's... u dont lose the fog lights...
How do you figure?

Old 05-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Sure you're not confusing the built-in fogs of the OEM lights with the city light feature of the depo lights? The depo setup does not have fogs - only lows, highs, and city bulbs.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:49 AM
2nd Gear

1 piece 2000-2001 factory xenon's, but like sineo said, if you are pre facelift you will have to trim the inside of the fender by the turn signal. It's not hard at all and can be done with some tin snips or a dremel or grinder. Valeo's are a good choice as well but a little more expensive and a little harder to find. I found out through LLTek that they are being discontinued so if you find a source that still has them in stock you should jump on them if that's what you want.

The factory xenons can be found in the classifides and on ebay and usually include everything where as the Valeo is just for the housing, so you will still need to purchase the ballasts, and bulbs.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:28 AM
1st Gear

so if i went with the one piece xenons, what else would i need to upgrade to HIDs?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:48 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: BeatjunkieXL

so if i went with the one piece xenons, what else would i need to upgrade to HIDs?
Depending on where and who you got the lights from you would still need the ballasts and bulbs. You can usually find the factory lights with all the parts still on them.

I searched ebay to find my replacement housing when my car got hit. I did not need the ballast because mine was still good, but I saw plenty of lights that had everything.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 AM
1st Gear

or go with my bad boys and put some PIAA in them!

Quick Reply: aftermarket headlights