B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

After a timing belt job completed..noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM
1st Gear
Question After a timing belt job completed..noise?

After a Timing Belt Job...
So I just recently did a timing belt job on my 01 audi a4 1.8t fwd. everything went fine i guess until i started the engine.

It sounded like ticking noise when you press the gas pedal i becomes faster as the engine turns... first i figured it was my idler pulley because it did have a little bit of a play when i move side to side, I got a brand new one and still got the same noise...

after a little bit of search i narrowed it down to the lifters? could it be possible that since i had my car's front up for about 5 days and then i started the car up the oil was not getting to the lifters and thats why they are making the noise?

I check the oil level and it seems to be fine. I started up the car while the front end was up and got the noise .. Droped it down and still got the noise.

now its lowered on its wheels,

what can this be from?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2011, 09:44 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

What all did you do when you did the timing service? Cam or crank seals? Where, about, does is seem like the noise is coming from? Generally, a knock in the valve cover area is a sign of cam chain tensioner problems. I wouldn't expect that would be triggered by the timing service, however, you may have affected something when you indexed the engine to TDC before doing the timing job.

good luck

-not an expert, just an enthusiast

Old 11-11-2011, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

with the TB job i just took the front stuff off and did the belt, water pump, hydrolic tentioner and the pulley. then i put everything back . the sound seemed like as if it was from the front so i assumed it was my idler (serpentine belt pulley) which had a wobble in the bearing, bought a new pulley assembaly and didnt fix it. now it seems like the noise is coming from the intake manifold area (right side of the engine middle part of it) i heard someone said they had a bolt loose there and it was making same noise i will check for that tomorrow.

its just strange how this just happned right after the job.. only thing i can think of was that the car was up on front lift for 5 days maybe oil pressure had something to do with it. i dropped it down and needle was half way so i topped it off with oil started the car and still same sound.

what do you mean by "indexed the engine to TDC before doing the timing job"?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Administrator

You're supposed to rotate the engine to a specific position to align the timing marks, to ensure it's timed correctly once you tension the new belt. Just a thought - how's your power steering system? If you have noise under the manifold it could be the PS pump. Is your fluid level correct? The fluid pumps through to assist the steering but it also cools and lubricates the pump.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

hey guys thanks a lot for all replied,

here, i made a video of it to maybe better explain my situation, i took pretty much a all the covers off to see what was going on nothing seemed strange. this thing more sounds like a belt rubbing off dont you think?

Strange sound after a tb job - YouTube From 0:35-0:41 really points out the strange sound

sound i take off the serpentine belt and run it without it ?

please let me know

Thanks

Old 11-12-2011, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

hey man you are on point i think, i checked my power steering fluid and there is something there underneath but its below the min mark, i am going to fill it up, you think that will cure it?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

filled up ps fluid and nothing changed, after poking around here and there i found out that its the alternator tentioner pulley thing that the bearing sounds like crap i think i got the source.. :-/ no clue where im gonna get the bearing tho cuz they are trying to sell the whole part for 180

Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 AM

The accessory belt tensioner? You can get them pretty cheap, like $40. I've got a brand-new-in box one (still sealed) that I could sell you for the cost of shipping plus a few dollars.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

Hey MetalMan , I was referring to the alternator belt tentioner . It has a pulley at the bottom of it and the bearing inside of it was going bad.

Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Engine > Drive Belts > Tensioner > ES#2090862 Accessory Belt Tensioner - Assembly - 058903133D

Please PM me the price if this is what you have

Thanks