B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

After Seafoam & Cleaning MAF. . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:09 PM
1st Gear
Default After Seafoam & Cleaning MAF. . .

Well today I went and bought some seafoam and some MAF cleaner, not really thinking that it was going to make a difference too much. Put some of it in my gas tank, then ran some sea foam through my engine. Once it started smoking a good bit I turned it off. Let it sit for about 5 mins then let it idle for about 10 mins. Then I took it out for a spin. . . and WOW the stumbling that I had during boost was pretty much gone and it felt much more powerful. The one thing that seemed maybe out of place was during injecting the SeaFoam into the vac line I notice that I had a little white smoke coming up from the engine bay. . .not really alot but I noticed it. It came up from near the turbo area somewhere. Is this normal? Maybe smoke just creaping its way back up from the exhaust? Someone just let me know please

Well I got back from my little cruise around the block and decided to clean on my MAF. I pulled it off but noticed there was some black liquid in the intake tube. I wiped it out with my finger, didn't seem like oil. Maybe SeaFoam that had dripped down from intake manifold and cleaned a little stuff so it was darker? Anyways haven't taken it for a drive after cleaning the MAF so I will post back to let everyone know how its doing now.

By the way if anyone didn't know, I used to have a major stumble problem from med. to high boost. But the seafoam seems to have pretty much taken care of it.

Thanks to those that helped out,

NateTheApe

Old 01-24-2009, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

Glad to hear that you had positive results with Seafoam. I also have some exhaust leak smoke near the turbo. It's also not much in my case but not sure if it's worth the extra work of tearing things apart to retighten it or it's just a worn part on the turbo.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Still Stumbling. . .

So. . .after running the seafoam through my car everything seemed better and it does seem to run better. But I'm still running into a problem with stumbling at Med. to Hi. boost. Could any one point me in a direction to locate my MAF and see if that may be the issue? It only seems to happen during that point in boost.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 AM
4th Gear

You MAF is where your intake hose meets your air filter housing
Rather than guess, why don't you borrow a vagcom and see if there are any codes stored.

I suppose that there are probably lots after using seafoam. Just clear the codes, drive for a week and see what comes back to help guide you on your way.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear

the oil you were talking about was probably from your crankcase breather hose. if you want to clean it out that would be good, but its probably not hurting anything, it should be after the MAF.

seafoam can throw O2 sensor codes, and in some extreme cases actualy foul the sensors. if you have vagcom you can read the values of your MAF to check if its bad. 5-7g/s at idle and around 160-170g/s at redline is what you should be reading.

when is the last time you replaced your spark plugs? that could easily cause stumbling under boost.