B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

After Seafoam, 1.8T stumble

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear
Question After Seafoam, 1.8T stumble

After searching the forums, I think I got a few answers, but I want to double up by describing what's happening today.

Yesterday I changed my oil and air filter. Both replaced with K&N and changed my oil with Mobil 1 10w-30. Before I change my oil though I did two things, I ran Seafoam through the vacuum hose and in the crank case. Did it's thing and smoked. I also removed the flap inside the airbox, thinking to myself, what's the point of this. I also dumped a whole thing of STP fuel system cleaner into my gas tank.

Today the car started stumbling and shaking like someone who can't drive a stick. But the transmission isn't slipping, I ruled that out, it's the engine. I am not getting any engine lights or codes, or maybe I don't know how to get codes to start with.....

Anyways, the search seemed to point at a 85% chance I fouled my plugs, which I'm about to go outside and see if I did. But is there a chance I fraked something else up with the seafoam and fuel system cleaner? Or is that stupid flapper door inside the air box that important?

Car has 96056 miles on it as of now. And is a manual.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear

Probably your plugs...have you double checked that you reconnected everything properly?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

Just did, the plugs look normal, non fouled and it appears I reconnected everything. I am on half a tank, think I'll drive it empty and fill up again, maybe the problem will resolve itself like it did for a few others. I'll post back later.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear

My gas mileage is to good, geez, not going away. I am wondering seriously if it's that flap, I'll put it back to normal and double check everything.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear

Hopefully the Seafoam didn't screw up your cat. I assume you've got a CEL?

Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 PM
4th Gear

ITS THE K&N!!

Too much oil... take it out and clean your MAF real good.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:02 PM
2nd Gear

yeah im thinking the k& N or just be safe ( if its not that) and get new plugs to just try them... could be a fluke that a coil pack went bad just for the hell of it? that would throw a code though... check your maf (get some maf cleaner and do that) and definately swap out that k&n if its the cause...

Old 12-08-2009, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear

F*** k&n.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I assume you've got a CEL?
What the hell is CEL ? Sorry guys, this is seriously the first foreign and 4cyclinder car I've owned. I come from the world of Government Motors Trucks and Muscle Cars, minus the one poopstang I owned, that was totally random phase of my life.

What's the problem with a K&N? Sometimes the thing drives normal, other times it starts doing it's thing. And to be honest, it feels like I'm hitting a speed governor, know how it's like your gas suddenly gets cut off.... That's how it feels.

Sorry this isn't to descriptive.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

Check Engine Light. Happens on every forum. People forget others may not know the acronyms they think are common.

Quick Reply: After Seafoam, 1.8T stumble