B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

After market audio help needed(subs and amp)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 PM
1st Gear
Default After market audio help needed(subs and amp)

Hi i recently got a sub, amp, converter and got the required cables. Im using my stock head unit.I ran the power cable to my battery than wired up my hi low converter and from my understanding i plugged the cables from the convertor to my back speakers but the amp just dosent turn on....can anyone help?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 PM
2nd Gear

did you run a wire for the power? lol

on my old amp the power wire was in a weird location so running it all the way back with the 0gauge cable up to the head was awkward, considering the power wire was tiny.. it was a nice 1000watt 4 channel performance technique

Last edited by NHolzschuh; 01-09-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

yeah ofcourse since im keeping the stock headunit i had to run 4 wires to my back speakers(so the amp knows when to turn on) i think this is the part i messed up but how do i know

Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

well first, every head unit has a remote wire, wether you have a BOSE system or not. its usually blue or while/blue. you need to pull out your headunit and splice into that for the REM part or your amp. then you just run + and - lines to it. if you cant figure that out, the REM is just a 12v+ that only comes on with your ignition, so you could ghetto up a switch. just use your remote wire lol

Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Actual WIZARD

Sounds like you dont have the amp remote power wire hooked up. There should me a small gauge wire that you see that needs power when the radio is on

The blue wire:

Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

I uninstalled my subs about 45 minutes ago so all of this is fresh in my mind.

What wires do you have plugged where?

It appears as though you are asking if you have the "remote" wire plugged in properly? I ran all my wires from the rear speaker before the factory amp. If you want to avoid trying to find a better remote wire in the front, you can use the one in the back.

Nice picture Keegan, explains the overall idea pretty well

Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

the guy at best buy said i can get without using a remote wire... but now i seee that i need one. how do i find the one in the back? if i cant ill use the one in the front. but will i still nead the hi/lo convertor plugged up? and the picture shows rca cables going to the head unit, is that neccesary?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wojtekA4
the guy at best buy said i can get without using a remote wire... but now i seee that i need one. how do i find the one in the back? if i cant ill use the one in the front. but will i still nead the hi/lo convertor plugged up? and the picture shows rca cables going to the head unit, is that neccesary?
do you have the bose system? because i do and what i did was i didnt use the high/low converter at all, all i did was take the low level signal between the deck and the amp, right before the amp and spliced in some rca cables, then i also did the same for the remote wire
http://www3.telus.net/~dougkong/Audi/amp.JPG

Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear

What do you have so far now?

The RCA cables go from a signal wire, preferably your headunit, to your amp. You can use any signal wire, but you'll lose clarity. I'm not sure how much clarity you'll gain/lose seeing as it's only a subwoofer. My factory speakers provided clear enough sound for me.

In the trunk on the driver side of the car you'll see a small amp hanging beneath the speaker. There's a blue connector that you can pull out. You can use this link figure out which wires/pins are for the remote and the signal. I used #1 and I think #3

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec74.shtml

I didn't want to splice those tiny wires so I picked up other wire, put it in those corresponding holes, and ran them back out while pushing the blue connector back in. It wasn't "professional" but no one looks there, and it served the purpose for about 2 years. Do this at your own risk but it worked fine for me. The #1, remote, simply goes to your amp, and the other one, the signal wire, needs to have an RCA cable on the other end. I had a spare RCA cable I didn't care about. If you want more info about it, let me know. I didn't use a hi/lo converter; my amp had a low pass frequency switch, but I usually didn't use it.

To recap, I had a power wire running from the batter to the amp, an equal gauge wire for the ground which I mounted in my trunk, used the wires going into the factory amp for the remote, #1, and the signal, #3. Doing this in the back means that if I turned the fader to the front, the subwoofers and rear speakers put out less sound which let me control how much bass was being put out when my parents and family were with me.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Actual WIZARD

^^ This is EXACTLY what I did and for the same reason

The remote is the white wire I believe (on the rear speaker amp)

I trimmed back the insulation for the wires off the amp and soldered them in line with the wires, never had an issue.

Quick Reply: After market audio help needed(subs and amp)