B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Advice on My 01 B5 2.8LQA

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear
Post Advice on My 01 B5 2.8LQA

Hey AUDIFORUMS!!!

I have been searching and saving for the past year for a B5 A4. I was and am still not too interested in performance mods, which is why I got the 2.8, and I did not want to have to worry about the turbo problems!!! (I know some of you might be angry at me for saying that!!!). Anyways, I have had the car for less than 2 weeks and love it. I am only 17 years old and my first car before this was a Ford Windstar so I am very happy to have a "CAR". I have been working at a golf course and selling on ebay so that I could save up for the car. It is a 2001 Audi A4 2.8L with just over 100K on it, PIC BELOW. I bought it for $7995 and it is very very clean. Everything on the interior works great, the LED trip screen has every pixel working, even though it has been warm lately (I know the pixels cant take the heat very well). The car is tiptronic with the sport buttons, I did want a 5 speed but what can you do!!! It is a 2-owner and there were no service records with it but it was inspected before i bought it. I am starting to freak a little after reading through 100s of posts about belts snapping and I am aware of the maintenance these cars need. I love DIY projects, I already replaced an H7 headlight and put in license plate LED's last week, they look so great!!!! Anyways, we have a family friend shop mechanic who fortuneatly works on audis so we are probably going to replace the belts and pumps together soon before the winter hits. I am starting to worry a little about the belts because I do not know when or if they were replaced.

You are probably wondering what the point of this post is but I was just want you guys to give me some tips and advice about my car.

I need new tires and rims, right now I have the stock 5 spokes that most 2.8's have. I like the S4 6-spoke rims for next spring but I also want the 16" rims for the winter: These ones:http://www.sixfiveohphoto.com/wagonbuild/audicoils4.jpg.

I love the twin 7-spoke rims on the b7 RS4. What do you guys think???? 17 or 18"??? Any advice on where to get great Audi replica rims??

I am not interested in mods, but a friend of mine says that I should get a $50-60 air intake (k&n???) to replace the stock one. He says it gives you better gas mileage and obviously cleaner air for your engine. I dont know though, what do you guys think?? Anyone know about air intakes for these cars???

Also, I need another FOB key. What codes do I need?? How and where do I get another one and how do you get it to work??

I am also interested in lowering the back end, I dont really like how it is higher up than the 1.8T's, but maybe I should just lower the whole thing. I dont really know too much about suspension, give me your thoughts.

Again, I am starting to freak about the belts, and I plan on doing it myself with our mechanic, but should I order the part myself or let him order it?? Where could I get one??? I dont really have that much money to spend on the car. How much should I expect to pay for someone else to do it?? My dad is also crazy and says that we should wait and fix the belts AFTER they brake but obviously he doesnt know about AUDIS at all.

Also, any other cheap ideas that you guys have done to make the B5 look great (exterior or interior). Are there any great websites for cheap parts??? I am sorta interested in changing my floor lights where the gas pedals are to red LED's to match the interior dash lights, I guess I could replace all the interior lights, but I dont know. (I got my license plate LED's from 42DraftDesigns.com)

Again, I am a noobie to the whole Audi scene, I dont know too much about them yet but I know a lot more than a normal 17 year old, so please give me any suggestions. I have much care for the car, I have already washed it twice in the past two weeks!!! I also want to know what is the correct oil to put in (every 2-3K) and how many bottles it needs (And yes I do know how to change my own oil!!!).

Thanks for reading guys!!!

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?????? THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS, I HOPE YOU CAN HELP!!

Attached Thumbnails Advice on My 01 B5 2.8LQA-my-car.jpg   Advice on My 01 B5 2.8LQA-my-car-2.jpg   Advice on My 01 B5 2.8LQA-my-car-3.jpg   Advice on My 01 B5 2.8LQA-my-car-4.jpg  

Last edited by Witwer4444; 10-12-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 PM
5th Gear

well you must be a very well informed newbie. much more informed when i first start that's for sure. you should order the parts. blauparts.com or ecstuning.com usually has some good deals. for lowering and wheels, you should save up a bit more and save some money to cover for emergency repairs. i was 2 years older than you when i got mine so i know how tight the budget is. i would get the wheels and tires first. go used though, you can usually find a set of used for over 50% less than new. same with the lowering kit. i'd get 18s if anything. the stock intake is pretty efficient, just drop in a k&n or get a cone intake kit from ebay. a few other things to do are debadge, clear your front corner ambers and tint. o and also an HID kit from ebay