B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Advice on chipping my 01 A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Question Advice on chipping my 01 A4 1.8T

Hey All,
I'm new to the forum and noticed there is a lot of different chip manufacturers. I was hoping to get y'alls input on your experiences with chipping your 1.8T. Problems, likes, dislikes, recommendations for the best chip...etc. I saw the tread here that shows the manufacturers links but I didn't see a lot of feedback on the products there. Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
4th Gear

I got speedtuning I think it's great for the price, others like GIAC, I almost went with them but it was a little out of my price range, and giac gives a little more power than speedtuning. If u get chipped make sure u get a new diverter valve, go for a Forge or something that isn't plastic. Some people say the 710n is great but I wouldn't recommend it it can still break with the added boost from the chip. What ever you decide on, you will love it. onepoint8tee has his 00 done by GIAC and he is getting his 97 done by speedtuning I guess in a few days when he gets his ecu back u can ask him what the differences are and which one he would prefer.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Site Moderator

Just sent my ecu out a few mins. ago. I'll post a review next week when I get it back. GIAC recently dropped their prices which is a great reason to consider them over APR until APR does the same. APR seems to have a more linear and steady pull throughout the rpm's while GIAC is more tourquey down low, but overall I'd say they are about equal. Speedtuning and the rest should be similar as well. Neuspeed has a bad reputation for being one of the slowest chips out there, but they now offer a more agressive chip which should be competetive and is priced on par with GIAC. So basicaly, take your pick. Most people just go with whoever is closest to them so they don't have to ship their ecu out. They all give your roughly +50hp and +50tq.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Um, the same Thread has been up for weeks saying to call and send ecu to speed tuning for a $100 discount, check out the first thing you see when you log in to B5 models...

Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Site Moderator

Group buy is over! But if you can find their ebay store, you can get speedtuning for $150 which includes back shipping, but it's not overnight. So you'd end up with longer down time and pay only a little more than the GB price.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:54 PM

i would go with APR, seems like the most legit

Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Site Moderator

How can you say that without backing it up with reason? Thats a bold statement.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
How can you say that without backing it up with reason? Thats a bold statement.
ehh, I don't know. I've read about the chip for so long as it's quite the recurring topic for new owners.

Plus when I buy one, I will almost certainly go with the APR. I just think speed tuning, given I don't know much about it... is sketchy. $150 for the chip? I'd rather put in a quality product. Of course I know nothing about this

Old 10-01-2008, 04:41 PM

Although speedtuning may not be quite as good as GIAC and APR, getting simular numbers for over half the price is a way good deal. And theres plenty of people who have got the speedtuning chip so theres no way to say its not legit.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 PM

Lovin my GIAC! Great added torque,throttle response, and boost! Have nothing to compare it to though except for what I hear on here. All I know is I can drift turns in 2nd and third on dry roads like it's my job and not even close before. Not that I would recommend beatin on your car like that but I'm gettin new tires and suspension on Saturday

Quick Reply: Advice on chipping my 01 A4 1.8T