B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

advice from 200k+ mileage owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Default deleted

deleted

Last edited by foxracing4500; 01-13-2024 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Yes it's an iron block. Be religious with maintenance, don't use shitty parts/fluids, do seafoam treatments, maybe change out your vacuum lines and check valves, and if you're the type to beat the **** out of your car, stop - take it easier and it'll last longer.

No real difference between this and any other car really - treat it right, don't let small problems turn into big ones, and you should do well with it.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Yes it's an iron block. Be religious with maintenance, don't use shitty parts/fluids, do seafoam treatments, maybe change out your vacuum lines and check valves, and if you're the type to beat the **** out of your car, stop - take it easier and it'll last longer.

No real difference between this and any other car really - treat it right, don't let small problems turn into big ones, and you should do well with it.
can be more specific,when you say"beat the **** out of it" i think you mean to drive fast? also too,i was wondering,if you would be willing to do the seafoam treatment on my B5,if i drive down to NY with it,if so,how much would you charge for such a treatment?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Driving fast isn't nearly as hard on it as hard launches, running high RPM all the time, etc. That's the kind of beating I was talking about.

As for seafoam, I can walk you through it step by step if you like but I'm more than happy to handle it for you if you want to make the drive down. Sent you my cell number awhile back in a PM I believe (let me know if you didn't get it) - we can discuss it all.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

deleted

Last edited by foxracing4500; 01-13-2024 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 AM
2nd Gear

Driving fast isn't nearly as hard on it as hard launches, running high RPM all the time, etc. That's the kind of beating I was talking about.

As for seafoam, I can walk you through it step by step if you like but I'm more than happy to handle it for you if you want to make the drive down. Sent you my cell number awhile back in a PM I believe (let me know if you didn't get it) - we can discuss it all.
I didn't get your cell in pm ImTheDevil,pm me it and we'll discuss it. I wish i could do all DIY's on here but i don't have all the tools i would need,nor the time to put into all of it,i rather have a Audi guy,such as yourselves,help me out and then i can learn from watching.

Last edited by morpheous; 03-01-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

learning to work on these cars by yourself can be a challenge im still looking for audi guys in philly to learn from (i havent met one yet) but the seafoam is a simple job you should be fine doing yourself.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear

From my experience (with 263K miles on my 99 1.8T) your car will need normal wear items- wheel bearing, driveshafts, ball joints, TRE, O2 sensors, MAF, ICM, spark plugs, coils, as well as numerous other items that will wear out. And you will need to drive it like a normal person would- as a mode of transportation. I wouldn't go spending alot of money on proformance parts unless you plan on rebuilding the motor and drivetrain.

Most people don't think my car isn't worth anything, but I've been driving it for 5 years and I think I know my car pretty well by now. I've thought about fixing the body, has a lot of wear from stone chips and a couple small bumps in the bumper covers, but I know it still wont be worth the cost of the paint job because of all the miles.

So you got to ask yourself, do you need a mode of transportation, or do you want to make a racer? And seafoam might not be the best thing for the motor- depends on what kind of life it had. Possibly just changing to synthetic oil might be enough.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 AM
2nd Gear

I'm still waiting for your cell phone man...i don't know if your blowing me off or what. I really need someone local to me to help me out and learn more about working on my car,i don't want to just have someone "do it for me" i want to actually do it but i want someone that has to knowlege to "coach me"

I took Audina to audi yesterday,after a few hours and $276.00 later,they gave me the grim news that my tranny needed to be replaced,it being that my tranny won't shift into 4th gear. and also my rear diffs,are about out of oil and need to be replaced/filled.

I will be coming down your neck of the woods to pick up a used tranny for Audina with 58.000 miles on it. would be aswsome to meet you,while i'm down there. How far are you from "High point road,west shokan,newyork ? This is where the used tranny is and where i will be going to pick it up. Let me know if you are within this area.

Let me know asap as i will be going to NY tomorrow friday to pick up the tranny,so i'll pm you my cell once again! please use it..

Last edited by morpheous; 03-03-2011 at 07:29 AM.