B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Adivce on an engine pull?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Adivce on an engine pull?

Hi all,
Long story short, my valves got in a fight with my pistons and we all know who won that one. I found a replacement engine for my A4 2.8Q... I've searched the forums looking for some advice on how to do an engine pull for this car and haven't found anything helpful. So, I'm asking if any of you guys know what would be the best and least painful way to replace the engine? Pull the engine and tranny as one? Just the engine? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Unless you're doing the clutch too, I'd leave the tranny in the car. That way you won't have to worry about the drive shaft and differential and all that nonsense. My second piece of advice is to PM ImTheDevil and see if him and his cronies would be able to help you. They've done more VAG work (lolthatswhatshesaid) than most anyone on this forum and would be a huge help to you.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Slut

Yea just pull the front end off and pick the motor out. Leave the trans in.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

My car is an automatic so need to worry about the clutch. I don't know if I'd feel like towing my car all the way to Binghamton haha but I'll see what he says. Hahaha VAG work... Okay so just pull the motor... Any specific advice? Just pretty much hook up all the wires and everything you disconnect back up to the new motor?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

Well... I started to pull the motor this morning. Just.. Wow. Not a difficult job at all. Just really time consuming. Had to leave for work before I could the pull the engine but everything is ready to go.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

Removing it is the easy part, remembering where everything goes back is the hard part.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

Got it pulled yesterday. Had to pull the car out so I could get the old engine out of the garage and the new(er) one in.
Name:  photo22.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  263.9 KB
Name:  photo12.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  215.4 KB
Putting everything back together now that's what I'm a little nervous about.. hah I'm just paranoid that I'll get everything together and forget about something stupid. haha.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

nice man... just make sure u label all the connectors so u dont forget what goes where and such... it'll take a little time to put it back together but you'll get it. nice work so far man!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Fisheye!
I haven't been on the forums awhile because I'm taking summer classes and been busy with some other things as well. But, I've gotten the engine mounted, and everything hooked backed up. Just waiting on a couple A/C parts that needed to be replaced. Then hopefully next weekend I can put the front end back on and top up all the fluids and get her started!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiDeficitDisorder
Thanks Fisheye!
I haven't been on the forums awhile because I'm taking summer classes and been busy with some other things as well. But, I've gotten the engine mounted, and everything hooked backed up. Just waiting on a couple A/C parts that needed to be replaced. Then hopefully next weekend I can put the front end back on and top up all the fluids and get her started!
sounds good man... post up some pics of the finished product haha! always a good feeling when u bring a car back to life.

Quick Reply: Adivce on an engine pull?