B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Accident Timing and Legal Advice (No pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default Accident Timing and Legal Advice (No pictures)

My friend was involved in a fender bender last week. Both her and the other driver would like to avoid going through the insurance companies. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the other driver's car other than a miniscule scratch on the front bumper -- it's a Jeep Wrangler -- but is going to have it checked out.

However, finals are starting and she wants to wait over a week from the time of the accident to have her Jeep checked out a the dealer.

Is there a time limit in which she would have to have her vehicle looked at before my friend is no longer held liable? I doubt the other driver would do something to their car to play dirty and get more money out of this situation, but all the same, this would be something important to know.

I am aware that those who reply to this are not lawyers and I will not take your word as law. I'm just looking for responses from someone who's been through or come across something similar.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2011, 02:08 PM

did anyone call their insurance companies at the scene? if not its a hit and run on both parts and no one is responsible or accountable.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear

A witness called campus police and gave them a written testimony. Campus police turned the situation over to the city police because it happened while leaving a campus road. The city police officer told both of them to turn the incident report in to their respective insurance companies this morning.

No one contacted the insurance companies.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

There is no reason to not contact insurance... Let them sort it out.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

yeah go to them and see what they say. just because they know about it does not mean that you have to file a claim or your insurance will go up. you have to request it to be repaired through them for anything to happen. cant hurt to talk to them

Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, my friend was worried about her premiums going up. The other girl had her Jeep checked out today and the only problem was the black rubber-coated bumper has a faint white scuff on it. She decided not to worry about it. Everything worked out well

Thanks for the insight

Old 12-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Premium would go up anyways do to the accident on her record since police were called out.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
Premium would go up anyways do to the accident on her record since police were called out.
That must be in your state...I never heard of such a thing,the police CAN'T,WON'T AND NEVER contact your insurance company,YOU HAVE TOO. Thats only if you WANT TOO,you are not obligated to contact your insurance,if its not your fault,specially when its the other persons fault,you go through their insurance but i think its different from state to state.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
That must be in your state...I never heard of such a thing,the police CAN'T,WON'T AND NEVER contact your insurance company,YOU HAVE TOO. Thats only if you WANT TOO,you are not obligated to contact your insurance,if its not your fault,specially when its the other persons fault,you go through their insurance but i think its different from state to state.
That's the key point we were trying to determine (before contacting a lawyer). FWIW, he city police officer took 30 minutes to show up and reprimanded us for having moved the vehicles before he even stepped out of his car. Fault was admitted when the accident happened, with a witness' testimony, and campus police had arrived. The road is heavily traveled and was blocked. Yeah, you should wait until police arrive before moving the vehicles, but it would have been foolish to wait for the city police to arrive. The city cop wanted to show his authoritah.

Once they did arrive, he started making false assumptions and had to be corrected several times. He returned to his car to type up the report which took him about 30 minutes (aside from checking out women who passed by, I have no idea why it took him so long). His undercover partner's t-shirt was hanging out of the lower part of the door too. I then asked him about the process of reporting it to insurance company of both drivers, if anyone was being charged and if his report is being sent as well.

It was an interesting experience, but has been resolved

Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

OP glad it has been handled!

Originally Posted by morpheous
... god you are dumb. When you are in an accident. It goes on your record at fault or not. Your insurance has copies of your driving record and is rechecked every time you renew. That effects your premiums. But then again you know more than me... How about you come hook up my cable for me?

Quick Reply: Accident Timing and Legal Advice (No pictures)