B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AC Snowflake Problem and Price Estimates

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear
Default AC Snowflake Problem and Price Estimates

I want to fix my AC system, which has not worked as long as I've owned my car. When I push the AC button, a "snowflake" icon appears momentarily on my climate control unit and disappears within a second or two at most. The air does not change temperature when the button is pushed. I thought it needed refrigerant at first and tried charging it, but that did nothing.

Having researched and asked around, I think it is the AC Compressor Clutch but am not certain. Other potential causes that I think it could, though unlikely be, is the electrical switch under the knee bolster, or the trinary high-low pressure switch behind the passenger headlight.

I saw this write up on replacing the compressor. Looks simple enough provided I can empty the lines...

Audi A4 AC Compressor Replacement for V6 Engines | Happy Wrenching

My questions today are:

How do you supply power to test if the clutch will kick on? Does anyone have a schematic or pictures of where to supply the power?

I asked for an email estimate today and was given the following prices. Are these reasonable?:

A/C compressor - $680
Labor - $287
(lol -- I'm thinking a used $100 compressor and a few wrenches should take care of this ^)

Receiver Drier - $110
Labor - $120

Charging/Vacuuming System - $153

Keep in mind, I don't have a machine to legally empty my vac lines (if they're even full).

--

Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 AM

the snowflake should be from low outside temp. i have never had it come on with AC.

Cheap sketchy way to discharge the line is shove a screwdrive in the schrader valve or get one of those ac recharge cans and cut the fitting off, hook it up and drain it into a gallon jug.

You should be able to manage reinstalling the whole ac system other than a professional charge theres not much to it.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
the snowflake should be from low outside temp. i have never had it come on with AC.

Cheap sketchy way to discharge the line is shove a screwdrive in the schrader valve or get one of those ac recharge cans and cut the fitting off, hook it up and drain it into a gallon jug.
I mean the snowflake icon on the temp. controller, not on the dashboard.

That is kinda sketchy, but a lot better than other ideas I've read

Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM

i have done the drain bottle method multiple times, its really not all too sketchy.

does they system come on? Can you tell, its possible you might need need a full drain/recharge.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Sorry about last weekend Tyler, I wasn't trying to lay in the rain in the parking lot and wrench lol. Still no luck huh? I'm still confused about how you can run the AC compressor without the car being turned on...

Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 AM

120 for labor on the dryer is ridiculous also.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear

Hahaha Chris, I don't blame ya! It's cool bro

I'm torn between first fixing my AC and replacing all my engine seals. If you're around and wanna help with one, I'll be able to get the other with my roommate back at school, or both. I feel confident doing both, except for draining the AC lines and for setting the engine at TDC.

Jones, I've never been in an any model Audi with the AC on before so I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly.

When I push the AC button (snowflake icon), the snowflake icon appears on the HVAC controller. 1 out of 10 times, the fans will kick on harder and blow ambient temperature air at me. They then cut off within 5 seconds and I'm back to the normal fan blowing more hot air at me.

9 out of 10 times when I push the button, the snowflake disappears within a second and there is no noticeable change anywhere.

I wonder why the fans kick on higher sometimes and not others. Could that be the trinary pressure switch not working, the trinary switch turning the sytem off to protect the compressor, or the compressor clutch is so worn that it only engages 1 out of 10 times

I'm not paying that much for a drier lol, ridiculous. I'm also getting a Bentley Manual soon. It's been paid for as of today!