B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AC not working good!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy AC not working good!

My AC is not working good. The wind is cool but not cold enough. I tried to recharge with R134A, but the gauge show that the pressure is good, even high (warning area). Someone said might be the problem of compressor. What should I do?

Thanks everybody!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear

REMEMBER: VENTING FREON INTO THE ATMOSPHERE is ILLEGAL!!!

Honestly, I don't like the 'self' DIY AC fix bottles you buy at auto stores...If your 'kit' came with some sort of advertised 'sealer' in it (we call that stop leak), if and when you do take it to a shop to get it fixed, please let them know, they usually check, but with 'stop leak' in the AC system, if they just plug their AC machine in and run it, it might blow up their machine. They really shouldn't sell this stuff OTC.

Did you check to see how much Freon it actually takes? Did you have a gauge to see how much freon was IN it before adding more?

Is the Compressor kicking ON when you turn ac on? Do you hear it /feel it or not? Does the sub fan kick on?

Just FYI, If your pressure is high on the High side and the Low side, blows some cool, it might be OVERFUL or there might be AIR, water etc in the system.

If your AC system is OVERFUL, generally your car will idle rough.

It could also be, just your vent door for your heat/AC not functioning properly.

Did it just stop working from one day to the next? Or is it gradually cooling less?

Here's a link for you to check.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...1/freon-check/

REMEMBER: VENTING FREON INTO THE ATMOSPHERE is ILLEGAL!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Thank you

Thank you for replying. Learn something today!
The (self)DIY kit you mentioned is only fit for the low side. I plugged it in, and turn to coldest, biggest wind. the pressure on the gauge is "warning" and blow some cool.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 PM

follow what markymarc says, when it comes to ac more is not better in any means but exact or very close to pressure is good. When ac is overfilled it works harder and wont come out as cold. Recheck the freon and head pressure and make sure there right on, best thign to do is vent into a bucket of water that way all grease and freon is caught. Check your lines and make sure there not freezing or have heavy condensation on them, something may be clogged or vice versa. If you have a friend that knows about ac really have him take a look since ac is a picky system and really anything could be caus