B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AC/heat blower won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Default AC/heat blower won't turn on

The blower in my car won't turn on. I took it to the shop, and they installed a new blower, and "resistor" (what they called it), and it still didn't work -- $600 later... So they think it's the AC control computer thats bad. But they can't find one to fit my car ('96 A4, needs the H-model module).

So, I tore into it yesterday. I took apart the computer, and didn't see any obviously bad electronics or broken connections, so I put it back together and the computer works better than ever (the display used to spontaneously work even though all the functions worked). When I push buttons on the unit, I can hear the vents open and close, and it turns on the AC compressor as well -- so I'm thinking the computer may not be the cause. Also, you can feel cold air flowing out of the vents while driving, so the AC works.

I took out the glove box and was poking around the blower motor. There is a "control module for fresh air blower" right by it. I wonder if this is the "resistor" the shop referred to. I put a multimeter on there, and its getting 12V when I turn on the fan from the temp control unit, and 0V when its off. But, there's no wires coming out of the unit so I dont know what to check next. I also checked the connection to the blower itself (2 wires: +, -), and it read 9V (??). The wires for that come from somewhere behind and to the front connectors on it.

Anyone have any ideas to try next? I've thought of jumpering the blower directly to get it to turn on, but not sure how to do that. I'd even be happy with just an "on-off" of the blower if I can't get the original functionality working again -- like I said, the AC works, I just need it to blow. (:

Thanks for any ideas!