B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ABS reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 AM
1st Gear
Default ABS reset

I had my ABS module rebuilt by (a forum member on another forum, he's well known to do them correctly). I went to install it last night and my abs light is still solid and the brake light flashes. I did unhook the battery for about 15 minutes before turning the car on.

Is there another way to reset the system without taking into a dealership?

If it was a speed sensor, the light display would be different correct?

I think there is a ABS fuse, If I pull it, would it reset the system?

Thanks for any tip/tricks.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear

csconnect both terminals and hold them together for 3 min? thats how you clear codes

Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Audisaurus;1308946]csconnect both terminals and hold them together for 3 min? thats how you clear codes[/QUOTY]

Your saying hold the negative and and posetive cables together for 3 minutes?

I've never heard of that on any car. This something Audi specific?
Usually your just able to disconnect the cables from the battery and that clears check engine codes. So this will turn of the abs/brake light too then?

Thanks, anyone else?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Administrator

From what I've read, doing that also resets a lot of operational parameters that may require vagcom to reset, so be careful doing that.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
From what I've read, doing that also resets a lot of operational parameters that may require vagcom to reset, so be careful doing that.
Glad you posted that. Hopefully there will be enouph replies to rule things out on what not to do.
Last thing I want to do is cause myself more of a headache.

Thanks,

Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Make sure you know what your radio unlock code is, before you try that, if you have a stock head unit. Otherwise you'll be in the market for a new one, or paying the dealer 100 bucks to unlock it for you.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mark C
Make sure you know what your radio unlock code is, before you try that, if you have a stock head unit. Otherwise you'll be in the market for a new one, or paying the dealer 100 bucks to unlock it for you.
well not sure i'll be trying that as I dont want to mess anything else up. If it means I have to take it in to get re-programmed I'm not doing it.
I have the stock readio code so I'm not to worried about that.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Administrator

If you can make it to the NE meet this coming weekend there will be several scanners and at least one VAG-com there that can perform this function for you.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear

If the problem was actually corrected the light should turn off on its own, I dont think do anything above is going to help, minus the VAG COM it would be nice to scan it. Bad abs modules, bad communication to the instrument cluster, and no power to the abs module (e.g blown fuse), the abs and the brake light are shown. If an abs sensor is unplugged, or getting a bad reading, the abs light only will come on and not the brake light.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dallas09
If the problem was actually corrected the light should turn off on its own, I dont think do anything above is going to help, minus the VAG COM it would be nice to scan it. Bad abs modules, bad communication to the instrument cluster, and no power to the abs module (e.g blown fuse), the abs and the brake light are shown. If an abs sensor is unplugged, or getting a bad reading, the abs light only will come on and not the brake light.
Is there a particular ground wire to check, or power wire/ pin on the harnes I can check for power?

I read there is a relay/large fuse under the panel above the drivers feet. close to the steering column that is related to the ABS. I think it's visible from the fuse panel. There are a few there, which one should I be looking at and whats the easiest way to get to it?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: ABS reset