B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ABS problems... Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default ABS problems... Help needed!

So my ABS just started engaging on dry roads whenever I would brake slower than 5mph. After about a day of this the brake light and ABS light came on and I guess the computer turned ABS off because when the light comes on it stops engaging at all. I did a little research and found the problem could be the brake speed sensor or something... Am I on the right track? And is this a problem i could fix myself I just bought the car and it is my first Audi so I am learning as I go. Thanks for the help!

Kevin

Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear

You are on the right track. It is likely a dirty abs wheel speed sensor, or an abs wheel speed sensor that needs to be pushed in further, or it could be a damaged tone ring on your CV joint. Your first step is to get a vag com to determine which ABS sensor is at fault. Search and read the stickies and youll see where to get a vag com, and some more ABS information.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear

Get some codes. You can find replacement speed sensors aftermarket, if that's how you want to roll on ebay, new ones from dealer are around $150 each! I have a 2.8 quattro, my sensors wore out, then I replaced the right rear axle, but not the left rear, and then I had your problem, my abs engages under 20mph for no reason. I then replaced the left side axle, and it went away. basically the NEW axle with the speed ring, was brand new, and the old one on left side was worn a little (the speed ring), so it did that, but only at slower speeds. You can get a very good price for axles for your Audi at NAPA (can you blieve that?), they are like $70 each, but the core charge is more than the part itself.

I would start with the speed sensors though. If you need info on how to locate them, I can send you some pics with description of where to look for them.

IT's easier if you have a VAG to read codes, it will tell you exactly which sensor/wheel it is.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Cool ill have to go get some codes monday. One thing I forgot to mention is there is a slight almost grinding/screeching noise coming from what I believe to be the passenger rear wheel, if I lightly hit my brake it gets louder but anything past a light push and the sound goes away. All four brakes were just replaced before I bought it.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear

I don't know how many times I've heard this, you can research this site, brakes were just replaced and now the abs light comes on????? whoever did the brakes, didn't know how to do audi brakes....I'd pull your passenger side wheel off, take a look at the brakes, caliper etc...if you look just behind the brake dust cover on the axle, you'll see a little plug that looks like a car cigarette lighter, the wire comes off that, goes under your rear passenger seat and up under the seat inside. Follow that wire, chances are, it's been cut or removed. BE VERY CAREFUL removing that sensor...they tend to rust easily!! and break when pulling it out.... I would definately pull that wheel off, take a look at the whole assembly, maybe post some photos here....grinding = NOT GOOD!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

Just FYI, if you fix the problem, you don't need a VAG for teh brake/ABS light, they will reset themselves....airbag lights HAVE to be reset, but the brake and ABS lights will go out by themselves...

Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear

The Grinding problem bothers me alot, but chances are they 'nicked' the sensor wire when doing the brakes...if it's grinding though, could be your brakes, your axle seizing up etc....but if it only grinds when braking, I'd make sure your pads are on correctly.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your help man... sunday Ill have a day to take off the wheel, now you said passenger but should i take off the front or both or does it make a difference? Now get this though i drove it to and from work today and I heard nothing but I'm still getting the light and everything. Yet all day Wednesday it screeched... So I don't know what the deal is with the noise, I guess I'll find out Sun.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

take the wheel off where you think it's grinding from...that's what I meant, thought you said passenger rear...sorry if I misunderstood. If it was just screeching,squeeking, probably cheap pads.....

Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

have the exact same problem as you. I took the car off insurance for the winter so ill fix it in April or something like that, but please keep let me know what it was how u fixed and how much it cost you! thanks alot.