B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ABS Module

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

I guess I should have explained it better. The light has went off 2 times that I can remember. I started the car and drove it and the ABS light and flashing brake light went out after about 5 miles of driving. The car drove fine like this. Whenever I restarted my vehicle it was back on.

The 2 times this has happened though its was extremely cold for my region (single digit temperatures).

Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by zandrew
I guess I should have explained it better. The light has went off 2 times that I can remember. I started the car and drove it and the ABS light and flashing brake light went out after about 5 miles of driving. The car drove fine like this. Whenever I restarted my vehicle it was back on.

The 2 times this has happened though its was extremely cold for my region (single digit temperatures).
Symptom is of your ABS module going bad...you can have them rebuilt, I think some people have used ModuleMaster for the rebuild....I'm sure there are others out there....

I would scan it with VAG Com and see what it tells you...if it can't connect to the module, then it's bad....or it'll give you some codes.....

Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

yeah i looked last light online, someone was saying it would be around $150.. some guy does them on ebay for $45 and i believe u get it back within 2-3 days which is pretty good.

just search AUDI A4 ABS module and the guy has done over 7,000 of them.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

Just wondering if i do that and do i still have to clear the codes? because i might have a bad ECM ive hooked 2 different scanners to the OBDII port and nothing comes up, and i have a Check engine light on aswell so i dunno? i was going to go with the APR stage 1 Tune but i dunno if they can still do that if the ECM is bad/unreadable? maybe i need a special audi scanner tool i dunno maybe somebodys input on here would be nice, thanks.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 PM
2nd Gear

It won't scan anything because your ABS module is bad, it won't get passed that module. If you want to scan everything else, disconnect the ABS module and then initiate a scan and it should scan all the other modules in the car....

Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

I am in the same boat. WHen i first took my car by the parts tore they could scan my car just fine. Now it will not scan at all. It does not make sense that it would scan and now it won't. I would think that this is the design of the OBD2 port to figure this stuff out.

I am trying to get Maestro tuning suite but I can't until this is resolved.

Also is it the module or controller that goes bad?

Last edited by zandrew; 02-28-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 AM

Have you chcked your OBD2 fuse? As far as I know the only reason you wouldnt be able to scan with a generic is the ABS module is bad and the scanner cant get past the bad module, or the fuse is bad for the OBD2.

Also, have scanned my Audi with a bad ABS module probably 15 times in the last week.

Can you guys try a different location, or a different generic scanner, maybe try a Vag com if at all possible.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

I have scoured the internet and found some info regarding the non scanning obd2 port. Here is some of the things I have found out:

There is a common mistake in the K line pin out with the OBD2 port where it is attached to 12v source. Here is that info:

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem

There also seems to be an issue with Concert Radio which I have. Here is that info:

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Audi Issues

I am guessing it is possible to actually smoke the OBD2 port as well since you can actually smoke a scanner. I am starting to get worried that this has happened.

Another person I found had an issue with the radio fuse being blown so and it had to be replaced. I don't know much of anything else.

I also spoke with Eurodyne and they commented that these cars had OBD2 protocol break somewhere a long the line and it was possible to have both protocols in the OBD2 port. It can wake up in the wrong configuration so what you can do is start the vehicle with the OBD2 scanner hooked up.

I bought a VAG specific scanner and should be getting it soon. I am thinking since my scanner will not communicate with ABS at all that this is the issue. Once I have the other scanner I am hoping it will work fine.