B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

abs Fixed? Maybe not

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Default abs Fixed? Maybe not

hi everyone, i dont have a vag-com and wanted to know if anyone knows whats going on here without diagnostic reading. I have 98 a4 1.8T. The abs control module died at about 125,000 Kilometers. I left it alone but had few good offers on the car but everytime it was almost sold people would see the abs light on and the parking brake flashing and get scared. So now at 160,000 kilomters i thought i get it fixed.
I found a used on from someone parting out and they said it was in perfect working order.

So now my old one on start up the three beeps sound right away.

After the swap, i took off the battery then started the car. Everything was clear i thought it was fixed. Drove down the road probably 300 meters and the ABS light came on, and only the ABS light. Drive another 300 meters and now im back to the normal ABS light with parking brake flashing and three beeps.

So bascailly question is every time i start the car it doesn't beep right away but the ABS light will be on and then after roughly 500 meters the three beeps and flashing brake light. Does that mean the ABS module is broken on the used one i got or is there another problem like a sensor which is not communication properly. Please help i would love to find the solution and finally sell this car so i can upgrade to a newer audi.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator
Default RE: abs Fixed? Maybe not

Your easiest and best bet is to go to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and have them scan the car for you. It's free (versus paying an hour's labor at a dealership). Get the codes from them and then come here and post them. They'll give you the right codes, but I've found from using them in the past that their code definitions aren't always right. Post them here and we can narrow the possibilities down for you.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

I have the same problem and I've pluged in a similar scan tool and I get no codes. Could it be maybe the sensors that are installed near the brake rotors? I would really like to get rid of these lights.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Administrator

It could be, especially if you have or have had a bad wheel bearing. If the bearing goes south on you, the heat in the hub can cause the sensor to fail, not to mention it basically welds the thing into the upright to the point that you destroy it trying to remove it (ask me how I know this lol). It definitely could be a sensor. Take a look at the front sensors and trace their wiring back to their connectors - if they're under the car, it's possible that they got damaged or dirty. The rear sensors plug in under the rear seat cushion, so they're less likely to have corroded terminals, but if the fronts are plugged in under the car, they could be bad.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM
4th Gear

You'll need a VAG scanner to scan the third computer(ABS).
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&category0=

Old 04-28-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

thats for the insight, i just had the wheel bearing changed and they applied a lot of heat with the torch to get the wheel bearing out, maybe the sensor is bad. So the only way to check it probbaly scanning it?

Also just because the three beeps are not happing right when i start im assuming that the abs control module is fine but there is a bad sensor somewhere.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

problem fixed, for future reference if you abs light is on ONLY on when you start the car with nothing else, and you drive a little bit down the street and your getting the dready ABS light and Flashing parking brake, could mean its a sensor. In my case after the wheel bearing was fixed, i guess they yanked on the wire too much and the ABS sensor was "just a bit too far for the magnets to connect and make the signal" so just a simple tap on the sensor to push it back in place and the car is fine.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Nice fix - wish that would take care of my annihilated left rear sensor, but I think that no matter how many taps I give it, the seven pieces of it aren't gonna align right in the hub and start working again