B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ABS Brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
1st Gear
Default ABS Brake issues

A warning light "ABS Brake" came on. It appears intermittently. Sometimes it will stay on for an hour. Sometimes it doesn't appear at all. I looked this problem up and it calls for me to take it into the shop. But they are going to charge me $1000 to replace the module!

I would like to either do it myself (is it too hard for a novice?) or disable the ABS all together. I really don't like it. Rather have control of braking myself. I am good in the snow and wet weather.

Is there a way to eliminate this alarm message without replacing the module or sensors?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Site Moderator

Are there two warning lights on - "ABS" light as well as the "Brake" light? IF so then your module could be on its way out. You can replace this yourself but you'll need some basic tools. Buy just the electronic half of the module from PureMS.com - about $425 bucks.

If only one of those lights is on you probably just have a bad abs wheel sensor. I would not suggest you disable the ABS.

Get your car scanned for codes for free at Autozone and report back.

Last edited by brrman; 03-25-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Slut

^^^ +1 ^^^

probably just a sensor. And dont disable the abs altogether... you drive a heavy car, the first time you slam your breaks on the hwy and slide into the dumptruck infront of you, you'll realize it was a mistake. You say you want to be able to control your car???? Have you ever locked up before? theres no controllin that.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Both lights

Both the ABS and Brake lights come one at the same time and beep 3 times. They are NOT on all the time. Sometimes they will turn on after I've been driving a 1/2 hour or so. Sometimes they don't come on at all during my 1 hour drives to work.

I am aware that the module may be on it's way out. It may also be a sensor. I will take it to Autozone for that free code check. But if it is a module issue I refuse to pay the dealer $1000 to replace it. My car has 135000 miles and I'd rather work on it myself.

My plan was to pull one wheel at a time, replace the sensor with a new one, and see if the alarm continues.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Site Moderator

If its the module, do like I said and replace it yourself for about $425 bucks. I just replaced mine a couple months back actually. My lights would come on and then go out for a while also, until eventually they came on and stayed on.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
1st Gear
Default OK

I'll attempt to replace the module myself. Where can I find good instructions?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
5th Gear

check your fuse, i took my fuse out because of an abs issue and i get the abs light, the blinking brake light and 3 beeps when i turn the ignition on

Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Check out www.modulemaster.com as well - they've done rebuilds on the ABS modules for quite a few people on this forum and have a good rep here. Price was less than $200 if I remember correctly.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

I will check that out. Where can I find the best instructions on how to remove it and install the reburbished one?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Site Moderator

Modulemaster price is now $250 for a rebuild.

It's not hard to do, but you have to remove the front driver side wheel, wheel well liner, and move the washer reservoir to get at the abs module.

DIY Article

Quick Reply: ABS Brake issues