B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

About to change F&R rotors & pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear

Ok. Thanks for all the tips and advice. Are you sure it's $55 for the deposit?? I just called Autozone and they have them for sale for $15. So I'm just going to buy it.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:36 PM
4th Gear

15 bucks? Really... damn, if it's the right tool, why the hell not buy the damn thing.

Again, good luck, and have fun!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM
3rd Gear

i bought the kit at harbor frieght for really cheap like $25 it does every kind of car make

Old 02-19-2010, 02:34 PM
4th Gear

tell them u want the loaner tool kit for brake piston... its like a mini briefcase its red and has like 15 different attachments in it... if they told u 15 bux they prolly think your talking aBOUT JUST THE REGULAR ONE THAT YOU USE FOR THE FRONT PISTON... REMEMBER THE REAR has an attachment with a lil notch in it to turn the piston as your compressing it which is key, so make sure its the right one before u got spend 15 bucks then find out u still need to rent the tools from them lol

Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 AM
2nd Gear

Well I found out that the tool is just a universal 'cube' that I heard is a PITA to use. I'll probably just rent that set that comes in that case like you guys were talking about, so I can do it the right way with no hassle. Thanks again for the help. Here's a pic of the two. Oh, and the set IS $55 at Autozone, so you guys are right.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:27 AM

Trust me, don't bother using the silver cube as it is completely useless. I tried using the cube and after trying to make the cube work for way to long, I finally broke down and spent the $60 and purchased the full caliper tool set and it was worth it! The caliper tool is not limited to just Audi's as it can be used on most any caliper brake sets and it makes it a snap to push in the piston.

One more thing and this may sound basic but it hit me (the wrong way) when I worked on my A4's brakes for the first time; if you are replacing the rotors, be sure you know the size (in mm) of your rotors since they come in several measurements. This would have saved me numerous trips back to the auto parts store if I had known this piece of information.

Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 AM
4th Gear

I guess I got lucky... I said 99 A4 and the rotors I got fit just fine...

Old 02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Very good advice here^^. I just did my rear pads and rotors 2 days ago. A few months ago when I did the calipers, I tried the c-clamp method... SEVERE PITA!!! Autozone will have what you're looking for, deposit of about 55 bucks, and you get it all back when you return it. Trust me, use the right tools, it will save a lot of aggravation in the end.

Also, don't forget to take the cap off your brake fluid resivoir to avoid building up pressure and possible damaging the master cylinder. Make sure you put some rags around the fill hole as well, if you're compressing all 4 calipers, you could have some fluid spill over and make a nasty mess. Brake fluid will kill your paint, so be careful.

Make sure you have the right connector for your front pads, there are 2 different styles. If you get the wrong one, your brake light will be on (guilty). Also make sure you have a 7mm allen wrench. You'll need it for the front brakes, and believe it or not, a 7mm is not a very common size for some reason. I had to go to 3 different stores before I found a set that actually had it.

Overall, pretty easy job, just a lot of little things to remember. Have fun, and like the thread I started a couple days ago... this stuff is better than therapy!
I wanted to ask what the 7mm allen wrench is used for. I don't remember that being mentioned in the diy. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
4th Gear

I don't remember now exactly what I needed it for, other than when I was doing the front pad and rotors... this was back in June. I just remeber something was getting in the way and I couldn't fully remove everything without it...

Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
I don't remember now exactly what I needed it for, other than when I was doing the front pad and rotors... this was back in June. I just remeber something was getting in the way and I couldn't fully remove everything without it...
I looked at the diy again and saw that the front caliper screws are either 7mm hex or T45 screws and the caliper carrier has bolts. In the rear, the caliper carrier has 8mm screws and the caliper has bolts. I need to check my hex key sizes and T sizes to see if I might need to buy some more. Why couldn't Audi just make them all bolts damn it! lol.

Last edited by A4 2000; 02-21-2010 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: About to change F&R rotors & pads