B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)

i wanna upgrade my breaks sooo bad, but i really wanted to do it once, and i still have the stock 15"rims[:'(]. i bought new pads for the front a while ago, but havent put them on yet, i was told that the rotors on this car are not supposed to be resurfaced...is that true?? cause then i think im gunna wait to get rims to do the breaks so i can go with a bigger kit.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm make believe

yes they can get resurfaced. they can only have it done once i believe. If your have enough material left, you can have it done.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:56 PM

Make sure you remember if you've had your rotors resurfaced or not; tire places like Les Schwab will resurface them over and over again, which is really bad.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM
5th Gear

thanks for the possibility of using your garage bro. here's some cv boots kits
http://getcoolparts.com/RenderScript...d=getcoolparts
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ory=Driveshaft
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...294967269+5772

seems like they're basically all the same prices. ecs would be you're best choice i think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CV-Bo...spagenameZWDVW

just found that one, i'm not sure but it sorta looks like the outer kit but make sure you find out

Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4

Are your rears getting bad enough that you're willing to put on someone else's used rear brakes? Jeezus girl, get out the credit card and order some parts!!!
Fine. Greedy.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Heheh, if you want/need em when I upgrade my rears, they're yours

Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the links man - I saw the ones on ECS, and I'm gonna compare them. If I can get them in a day from Advance, I'll do that, rather than wait 2-3 days from ECS, but we'll see what the deal is. And NP on the garage/tools. I'm down for turning wrenches any day Besides, maybe we can do a trade-off - I may need your smaller hands to assist in my CTS swap (should be here tomorrow) - my holiday-hams-for-hands might be a bit tough to wedge in there for the whole thing lol.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 PM
5th Gear

haha, np man i'l bring my special hook i made to do it too. only other thing we need is a long flat head screw driver and we're golden

Old 02-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Well I've got plenty of those, and I even organized my tools again into my rolling cabinet (bought a nice 150-lb ratcheting torque wrench too, if you ever need it). Hell, depending on the day, maybe it'll be time to tackle the valve cover gaskets and valve cover detailing (not sure yet if I'll paint or polish them - gotta see 'em off the car first and see how complex the surface is to get a feel for how long it'd take to polish them).

Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 PM
5th Gear

not sure what polishing is but sanding and paint shouldn't take more than an hour. and is that ratching torque wrench the thing that is rly long and hose things you can turn at the bottom of the handle? if so, we'll need that for the torque specs for the clutch. might be good to use it on the valve covers too so you odn't crush the gaskets too much. also if you need sealant over the gasket too i have some audi oil pan silicone gasket that i bought for doing my oil pan. holler if you need it

Quick Reply: A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)