B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Default A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)

Well, finally today I got the opportunity to install my A8 brake upgrade. I got the ECS kit with Powerstop slotted/drilled/vented rotors and TT caliper carriers, plus a set of Hawk street ceramic pads. Total cost for it was $444 plus shipping.

The install is very straightforward - no black magic at all. If you haven't done front brakes on a B5 yet, don't hesitate and certainly don't take it to a shop. A lug wrench, a torque wrench, a 7mm allen socket, a 17mm socket, a pair of pliers for the spring clips, and a breaker bar are all you need (you might want some PB Blaster for the carrier bolts, plus a hammer to knock them loose). It took about 50 minutes of working time to do the whole thing (including a break for coffee).

Driving impressions are good - after bedding the pads, I tried some more serious stops in the 30-40mph range, and the car stops NOW. Part of the improvement is because my inner pad on the passenger side had separated from its mounting backer, and the pads were pretty crappy. But nonetheless, with everything on, bedded, and torqued, the car is dead-center smooth in braking from 75mph, and stops very easily - it's a pretty dramatic improvement over stock (especially considering the cost). I would definitely recommend the upgrade. Plus, they look sexy and fill out my 17" wheels nicely I imagine that if you were on stock 16" wheels, they'd look huge inside there, but even so, they seem to look larger in the 17s than the OEM brakes look in the OEM 16s. Can't wait for warmer weather to paint the calipers bright red to really make them stand out.

Here's a few pics from the install:

Old 02-23-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)

Look good, have you done a series of high speed stops to where you really get them hot? B/c thats where I noticed the difference in mine. I had b6 S4 brakes w/ slotted & drilled rotors, and loved em.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:21 PM

Cool man, I'm gonna have to try it out. What pads did you use? are they still A4 pads? or do they have to be A8 pads?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator

You use A4 pads, because your calipers are the OEM A4 calipers. I ordered a street compound ceramic pad from Hawk in an A4 size. A8 pads won't fit as I believe the A8 caliper is larger as well, or at least a different design.

I haven't had any high-speed stops yet, but I did pop up around 75mph and hit them somewhat hard, and the car hauled down from speed very easily and noticeably more quickly than with the stock setup. I'm definitely happy with them, and now I'm gonna end up doing the rears afterall - I hate seeing how the front looks, and then looking at the puny rears lol. I was talking with someone on here recently about it (turbo kraut I believe) - gotta say it man, you're right about doing the rears too - I can't leave those stock rotors on there with these on the front - it looks like it's neglected that way

Old 02-23-2008, 06:33 PM
5th Gear

you know i've been trying to figure out which way slotted/ drilled rotors go. ya you should def do the rears too. more braking power when you wanna do a full 180 in the snow ; )

Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Heheh, that's what the e-brake is for. And honestly, since the last hooligan snow behavior cost me two lowers, I'm probably not gonna be doing much more of that

Old 02-24-2008, 12:24 PM
4th Gear

Looks great. So the s4 rear is next?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:53 PM
3rd Gear

You should upgrade the rears and send me your old ones .

Old 02-24-2008, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

I'm lovin it. Definitely makes the wheel look sexier if i do say so myself. Most definitely do the back like you said.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 PM
3rd Gear

Looks really nice, and good review. I want to do mine this summer, but I have to upgrade my 15" stock wheels first... that's really all that's holding me up right now. I'd also like to buy 5 wheels, or at least pick up a 16" forthe spare at a junkyard just in case.

Quick Reply: A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)