B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a4 turbo problem? help!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

Near erie pa

Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Heh. I grew up in Erie!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Nice. Ok ill just get the code run and get back probably near the end of the week. Also in your opinion best turbo upgrade for the money?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zac McKibbin
Also in your opinion best turbo upgrade for the money?
That's a simple question with a complicated answer. The first thing I would do is read this sticky and see what kind of power you think you want to make based on the characteristics/requirements of each turbo setup. Then, figure out how much money you want to spend and find a setup that satisfies both of those. Make sense?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:07 AM
1st Gear

Alright thanks. I will do some research!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Administrator

No worries man. There's a lot of info in that thread, and even more to be had on other forums. Keep in mind your power goals, budget, and the supporting mods required for each turbo (rods, valve job, head work, etc.) and find a set up that works for you.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

ok just back from auto zone. It threw four codes P1136, P1127, P0304. He said that it was a cylinder 4 misfire (threw that code twice whichever one that is) and sold me a new spark plug so changing that. What are the other codes? Ill let you know if the new plug fixes it. Just replaced the plugs not too long ago to hopes aren't too high. Actually which is cylinder 4?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Make sure you check the gap on that new plug. Should be around .032 (I think..)

Cylinder 4 is the one closest to the firewall, furthest from the front of the car. P0304 is the cylinder 4 misfire code. It could also be the coil pack on that cylinder causing the misfire condition, not the plug. A way to check this would be to swap the coil pack from that cylinder with another one and see if the misfire follows the coil pack. Incidentally, coil packs are covered under a factory recall. You should give your local Audi stealership a call and see if your car has had them replaced already.

P1136 is a long term fuel trim lean condition. That means the air/fuel mix coming into the engine isn't getting enough fuel. Usually the cause is a boost/vac leak, but the only way to tell for sure is to do a boost leak test.

P1127 is long term fuel trim too rich. This could also be caused by a leak someplace, as well as a bad injector. As you might guess, that doesn't make much sense next to P1136. This makes me think one or the other is old.

For starters, I would clear all the codes and see which one(s) come back.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Ok i will swap out the plug and move the coil pack and call the dealership. If I change the coil pack and it doesn't fix the problem ill let you know. Is there an upgrade version of the coil pack at all? Also think i figured out the sound from the turbo after I shift, I think the previous owner my have put a bov on. Looking more into that today. If it is going to switch to dv. Thanks again foe your help though!

Old 05-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

There have been several revisions for the coil packs, each one is designated by a letter appended to the part number. For example, it might be "123456J." I'm mobile so I can't look up the current part number, but the dealer will install the right one.

As for the BOV, as long as it's a dual-piston type that stays closed at idle you should be ok. You'll still runat rich between shifts but it's not going to destroy anything. A good DV would be better though.

Quick Reply: a4 turbo problem? help!?