B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a4 turbo problem? help!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 AM
1st Gear
Default a4 turbo problem? help!?

Ok so recently I had no boost at all, major boost leaks. Fixed those and everything was great! Hitting tops of 19 psi. Then the car started to do like a hesitation whenever it would boost over 10 psi and would not accelerate until you let off the gas and depress the petal much slower keeping the boost under ten psi. Also there is a rattle when ever you depress the clutch from the turbo. Is my turbo going? Any questions please ask. Thanks for you help!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Administrator

What tune/turbo are you running? Boost controller or N75? Are you sure the rattle isn't just your throw out bearing? CEL?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM
1st Gear

Stock turbo, n75, apr chipped. Not sure if its the bearing. Kind of new to this. From what I've read may be the wastegate flap? Not sure.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

Also if I don't let off the gas and just let the turbo hesitate or cough for lack of a better word, it with throw the check engine light. The light will stay on for a little bit then go out

Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Sounds like you're misfiring. Does the CEL flash? You'll want to get the car scanned for codes to help point you in the right direction.

It doesn't sound like a bad turbo to me, but if you're curious about the health of your turbo, take the intake apart, remove the turbo inlet pipe and poke around in the compressor housing. Wiggle the CHRA around, feel the fins on the compressor wheel. If you see any oil in the charge pipes or compressor housing its a good bet your turbo is toast. A bad turbo will start to sound like a dentist drill when it spools up and/or leak oil/coolant into the intake/exhaust.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

My first thought was a misfire. Don't freak out and think your turbo is shot.

Pull codes and report back. I'll bet you have a P0300 waiting for you.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Yes the check engine light will flash a few times and stay on off a bit and then go out. But there is some oil in the inlet pipe. Ill have to poke around more and see. So if misfiring is the issue what my next step. Also dealer is the only one that can run the codes right?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

could be few things, over boost sensor or knock sensor complaining, or misfire

no idea on the nosies but you say when you depress the clutch from the turbo? no clutch is present on the turbo unless you mean after boost on gear change?
would say your clutch release bearing is on its way out

Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

No not the clutch on the turbo just whenever you press in the clutch and the rpms drop there is like a rattle springy sound from the turbo.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Auto zone will scan your car too, but it would be best to do it with an actual vag-com as opposed to a generic OBDII scanner. Where are you located?

Quick Reply: a4 turbo problem? help!?