B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a4 t3/t4 upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Odd thing is here are 2 listings on the turbobygarrett.com web site showing 2 T04 turbos.
Turbochargers > BB T-Series > T04ZR > 740759-2
and
Turbochargers > BB T-Series > T04BR > 757197-1

I dont just listen to people, I actually look things up my self too. lol
"As far as I now, there is no T04 turbo."

Now I know.
Learned.
Just not sure if the "cold side" of these turbos are used on all T3T04 hybrids (I doubt it, but heck, I don't know much), and that this is the reason some want to call the hybrids T3T04 instead of T3T4, which seems to be implied. Don't really care.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by vtraudt
I personally think 13 psi at 3k is great. I have seen cars that make 600 hp and do not produce more boost/torque/power at 3k.
Well that is because when you make 600hp the power band is shifted much higher in the rpm's when talking about the same size motor. This is called boost threshold.

That is like comparing how a K03 makes very little power at redline vs a 600hp car. Apples and Oranges.

Funny thing is my 2 liter K04 setup made 15psi without even being in gear. Doesn't mean it was going to be faster then with the GT35r.
To me Slides are only great for parks and for kids, not so great for power bands or making a car feel fast

13psi at 3k might be great for traffic driving, but there isn't exactly all that much rush driving around at 3k and only doing 1 gear pulls. End up running more then 1 gear and you are WAY out of the power band once you start moving. Well unless you like short shifting every single gear at 5k.

This is why comparing CAP times of a small turbo vs a BAT was just plain stupid. Wow it might be quicker for a set rpm range in 1 gear, but after that everything else just fly's right by. lol

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 01-08-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by vtraudt
"As far as I now, there is no T04 turbo."

Now I know.
Learned.
Just not sure if the "cold side" of these turbos are used on all T3T04 hybrids (I doubt it, but heck, I don't know much), and that this is the reason some want to call the hybrids T3T04 instead of T3T4, which seems to be implied. Don't really care.

What? T3/T4 was just a hybrid of a T3 hot side and a cold side off a turbo that had a T4 hot side. Before that there were mid size turbos that only came with a T3 hot side and large size turbos that only came with a T4 hot side. This is why most people started calling them a T3/T4 hybrid turbo. Not all that hard to figure out, even I could figure that out and I didn't go to college. This is the history of the hybrid turbo.

The cold side is a T04, letter after that says what compressor housing it came with. Higher the letter the larger the housing and Z being the largest.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear

BTW ever heard of Occam's Razor?
Good. Made me think (oh boy, again).
Hope you are NOT thinking it means: "the simplest explanation is more likely the correct one" (because that is NOT what it means).

Old 01-08-2011, 09:54 AM
4th Gear

Did I say it meant that? No, I stated if you actually heard of it seeing that you try to over think every single thing which is not always a good thing in life. I can tell you this though, I have known plenty of engineers and I know for a fact that most of them make the worst customers because they cant ever make up their mind and over think every single aspect of the products they are trying to choose from.

Not every thing needs to be picked apart and thought about so hard to figure out.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear

Did I say it meant that? No, I stated if you actually heard of it seeing that you try to over think every single thing which is not always a good thing in life. I can tell you this though, I have known plenty of engineers and I know for a fact that most of them make the worst customers because they cant ever make up their mind and over think every single aspect of the products they are trying to choose from.

Not every thing needs to be picked apart and thought about so hard to figure out.
NO question, you are right on the money. I AM the perfect example of that (including worst customer!). On the other end of the spectrum are the extreme 'doers' (not thinking at all, just steaming ahead (extreme). Put one of each group in a room, and you get marvelous results.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear

To me Slides are only great for parks and for kids, not so great for power bands or making a car feel fast

13psi at 3k might be great for traffic driving, but there isn't exactly all that much rush driving around at 3k and only doing 1 gear pulls. End up running more then 1 gear and you are WAY out of the power band once you start moving. Well unless you like short shifting every single gear at 5k.
Not sure what you are trying to say. I don't understand what gears have to do with it either.

At the very least, you should have insert IMO here and there ("isn't much rush driving around at 3k" isn't hardly a fact, rather an opinion that others free to agree or object; please don't generalize).

I spent at least 80% of my driving time in the 1500-3000 rpm range in all gears. And that's were I want the most power (so I can enjoy it most of the time). I have never been on drag strip (and likely won't), and the fastest I have gone in 5th gear in the US was 4000 rpm.

You have to admit there may be others like me (while I certainly admit others may have an entirely different goal or opinion for what the ideal power band should look like FOR THEM. Each his own.)

Old 01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear

While it is fun to cross swords, I am afraid the discussion is boring the heck out of most everyone here, contributing little to the case on hand. For this reason: I am out (also have to finish installing the auto trans for the 2nd time in my 96 A4).

Old 01-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Slut

Yeah I will most likely be pulling off my Tial 50mm to use the built in BPV.
Were you interested in my cold side pipe with the Tial 50mm BOV?
Yea, I meant to say cold side. I guess Im just going to have new piping made up because I hacked up my old hotside when I got rid of my dv, and if I was to sell my fmic, Im not sure they would want it with the BOV flange on the cold side. I really just need to get rid of that fmic for a bigger one. I'm looking at a custom ETS setup.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

my turbo specs

compressor
A/R 0.50 , 55 Trim, Indu. 50.5mm Exdu. 76mm
Turbine:
A/R 0.63, 73 Trim, Indu. 65.5mm, Exdu. 55.9mm

ok so i spoke to the people mike recommended.. they said if i want 250hp on my car would have to get the 440cc injectors with the eurodayne tune the tune is 499...but if i want 250+hp i would i would have to get a bigger maf from a v8 engine 630cc injectors and a different eurodyne tune which 899....i was like huh i want around 280hp can u do it with the 440cc they said no are they b'sin me? i thought i could 300hp with 440cc injectors and now they tellin me its not possible..

Quick Reply: a4 t3/t4 upgrade help