B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a4 t3/t4 upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
cause you got bromance for me and i run an elim kit
Delusional thoughts from fantasy island

Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

how much did the turbo cost you? and what else did you change to make it fit?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Slut

Not sure who your asking, but a Garrett oil cooled 50trim will run around $700 new, give or take depending on options/dealer. You will need an exhaust mani, a wastegate (assuming its an externally gated turbo), downpipe flanged to meet the turbo, full exhaust, fmic and piping, new intake and maf housing (if your aeb, if not then you dont have to run the maf), injectors, most likely another fuel pump depending on power goals, fuel pressure regulator (adjustable preferred), a tune, possibly rods if the power goals are high enough (you can usually get away without doing them on a t3/t04 making under 350awhp), a dv or bov, and a bit more ****, thats just off the top of my head.

Basically you need a lot of time and money. And after all that, you'll just want more power anyway

Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Not sure who your asking, but a Garrett oil cooled 50trim will run around $700 new, give or take depending on options/dealer. You will need an exhaust mani, a wastegate (assuming its an externally gated turbo), downpipe flanged to meet the turbo, full exhaust, fmic and piping, new intake and maf housing (if your aeb, if not then you dont have to run the maf), injectors, most likely another fuel pump depending on power goals, fuel pressure regulator (adjustable preferred), a tune, possibly rods if the power goals are high enough (you can usually get away without doing them on a t3/t04 making under 350awhp), a dv or bov, and a bit more ****, thats just off the top of my head.

Basically you need a lot of time and money. And after all that, you'll just want more power anyway
this, or you can get an elim kit from mike and it is pretty much a drop in turbo or you can do the upgraded stuff for more money.... downside to an elim is if you want to go bigger you have to get new hardware later....

but with a t3 turbo you can make over 400whp correct?
with the t3 you can start with a smaller housing and stay low hp or upgrade and get more power correct?

i am asking all this cause i never really looked into the t3/4 turbos, but i know there is someone viking or someone running one that is running like 15psi cause he didn't want to go internal

and beau it is fantasy island

Last edited by turbo kraut; 01-05-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: ninja
Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

ok i was gonna do do the elim kit but it look pricy at the time.... but if i could go back in time i would do it.... i went with the t3/t4 upgrade cause it look cheap but i put so much time and custom work into it and still not finished so far im in 1,100 and still need injectors and the eurodayne tune so prob looking around 2 something to get done....mike i found those people i talk to them and they said they have to do some research but the said they could do it most likely.... the reason i dont want more then 250 is i didnt do anything to the engine internal wise when i get some extra cash that bitch will be flying or i would sell it and get an s4 but thats it for now....

Old 01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
4th Gear

The stock rods in your motor can handle up to 400chp. Plenty of people running GT28r, GT28rs and GT2871r on the stock rods.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by jabba
ok i was gonna do do the elim kit but it look pricy at the time.... but if i could go back in time i would do it.... i went with the t3/t4 upgrade cause it look cheap but i put so much time and custom work into it and still not finished so far im in 1,100 and still need injectors and the eurodayne tune so prob looking around 2 something to get done....mike i found those people i talk to them and they said they have to do some research but the said they could do it most likely.... the reason i dont want more then 250 is i didnt do anything to the engine internal wise when i get some extra cash that bitch will be flying or i would sell it and get an s4 but thats it for now....
what motor do you have? cause as stated if you have the aeb motor you are good to about 400bhp

and even if you don't have an aeb you could run 15psi of boost and get about 300whp

as said in other threads it isn't hp that breaks **** it is tq.....if you have 400bhp then you probably 325-350whp.... i would say about 375 tq

Old 01-05-2011, 06:19 PM
4th Gear

Full-Race manifold

But hell with all this old school turbo talk. I want my damn EFR lol

All of the 1.8t motors are all equally as strong. The difference is the wrist pin size, but that isn't the weakest point, that happens to be the neck of the rod which is the same on all of them.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

i got the AEB wow 400 but i wont to run the **** out of it that why im making it 250 but i also thought rods would hold up to 300whp.. hmm i think im gonna go with 300whp then what else would i need to replace.. if i decide to do the internals? damn 300whp on this little engine how long would it last? thanks guys

Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
4th Gear

all you need to do is upgrade the rods. 300whp for a built 1.8t is childs play, I am making over 200chp per cylinder on my 1.8t block.

Quick Reply: a4 t3/t4 upgrade help