B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 Rear Diff Noise and/or bearing after off-roading?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:24 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 Rear Diff Noise and/or bearing after off-roading?

Hey guys,

I took the 98 a4 quattro 1.8t tiptronic w/ one bad rear bearing, out to a couple logging roads out in WA. Everything went fine until I ended up getting my car high-centered with the two back wheels off the ground. Was not able to get it out in drive (back wheels would just spin and front wheels did not give enough to go foward) and only reved it up a couple times to see if I could get out. So I put it in reverse and it goes along just fine. In fact the whole car still drives awesome with no vibrations (other than the bearing) or pulling. However, now I have a slight "whirring" or "whining" noise coming from my rear-end that seems unrelated to the bearing noise I have. I am taking my car into the mechanics to see if I can get my bearing changed or schedule something, but I was wondering if I should mention a rear diff fluid change or is it just my bearing getting worse. The noise only happens on coast/decel and I get no noise on load or maybe I just cant hear it. Its gets quite a bit louder if I am braking. The noise does not seem to change with turning (as my bearing does) or anything, but seems to only happen when I'm above 25mph. How much should I expect to pay for one rear bearing change and diff fluid change at an independant mechanic shop? I have all parts and fluids already.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by hollisterrobsta; 08-22-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 AM
2nd Gear

dont know much about that, but r u in hollister Ca? 95024

Old 08-22-2008, 05:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lumend13
dont know much about that, but r u in hollister Ca? 95024
ya a while back, live in WA now...

Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

Couldn't get to the mechanics today but any help would be appreciated! Got it scheduled for Tuesday. The sound is deffintely coming from the passenger side of the car. Again it only happens on decel, kinda of sounds like rocks even. Can't tell if its the rear or front, but I believe it is from the rear.
Can bearings make different noises on accel and decel? I got the standard humm humm humm while accelerating or even crusing but once I brake or deceleration another sound comes ontop of the hum that sounds like rocks churning.
Oh yeah and I managed to someone how pull my fuel line all the way out to be even with the bottom passenger side trim. Luckily its not leaking but a forewarning to other a4 owners it probably not a smart idea to rally your car. Was able to bend it sorta of into shape and zip tie it back into its place. Should I get this replaced? How much am I looking at for a new fuel line? Haven't lost any fuel or brake fluid so I think I'm ok.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

you guys must not know...thats cool but if you guys have any leads or ideas let me know

Old 08-23-2008, 06:28 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

i had something similar to this just last week. i had a humming sound on my front right wheel well. i had my mechanic fix my control arms, but asked me if i've been hearing that humming sound on my front right cuz the bearing was going out. it would disappear if i were making a long right bend because it would take the pressure off of it.

he replaced it and the humming sound is gone