B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 Died need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 PM

how much you want for it? where is it? ;-)

I know of a guy selling a nice 2.7t bi-turbo.... would solve all your problems...

Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 Quattro

Im in missouri, i just replaced the springs and struts all the way around. I would sell it for $2000. For that i would put back on the stock rims & tires with 85% tread left. Stereo system is not going to be included. Except i will leave the new alpine 5 1/4 component and 6 1/2 speakers it

Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 PM

To far and to much $$ for me. But, if you are seriously going to sell it, PM me because there are a few tiny parts here and there I might want from you if the price is right. ;-)

Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Same problem I had and found what has gone wrong...

I read your post and your problem is no difference on mine. I hate to tell you this and I am also hoping that you don't have same problems like mine but I found my T-belt is missing 12 teeths. I was just driving then my motor just shut off and when I try to restart it all I hear was just my starter and nothing else. So all in all.. I have broken Valves, Hole in my #3 Piston, and broken T-belt and Tensioner and make sure to replace the oil pump when you do the T-belt. You won't be able to see the T-belt broken until you take everthing apart like I did because the broken teeths are by the crank pulley. GoodLuck!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pinoykool
and make sure to replace the oil pump when you do the T-belt. You won't be able to see the T-belt broken until you take everthing apart like I did because the broken teeths are by the crank pulley. GoodLuck!
mechanical oil pumps almost never fail, they sometimes need to be cleaned out but you almost never need a new one. you might have meant a water pump?

He said that the pin in the key way of the crank gave way. So it not getting enough pressure to turn it over. I have the AEB motor, i would assume that it is a zero tolerance motor.
these engines are interference engines, meaning the pistons 'interfere' with the valves if it is not timed correctly. if the key broke and the crank was allowed to spin freely, you definitely damaged the valves. if you are 100% sure thats what happened- you have a few options...

if you have a decent set of tools and can follow instructions, or have a friend who can that you can bribe with pizza and beer, you can pull the head yourself and assess the damage. you can probably have it rebuilt for $400-$1000 at a machine shop plus another $350 for a timing belt kit and new crank gear (hopefuly the crankshaft keyway is not damaged, just the gear's key, that would get expensive if you needed a new crank too). if you can do the work yourself this repair isnt too costly.

if you have to take it to a mechanic expect to pay at least $1000, probably closer to $2000 or more. a dealer would probably want $3000+

if repairing isnt an option, you can either sell the car as is, see if you can buy a used head or whole engine cheap from someone online who is parting out their car, or part the car out yourself. depending on how much you paid for it, you can often get more money from parting it out then selling it as is, though parting out is time consuming.