B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4, can it easily and reliably handle more power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Default RE: A4, can it easily and reliably handle more power?

Rhino, at 16, with an Audi, heck, you're doing fine.

Cincy.... when reading newbie guide v 2.0, it mentions under the GT28RS area that ALL new mounts are needed. Does this mean you need to buy different kinds of new mounts, or just new mounts period? Is this to "refresh" the support areas or something?

Also, when it says new suspension under the same turbo, are you saying more sportier springs/struts or just new suspension in general?

Are there alternatives to the 3" VR6 MAF, or is this just the proven way? Are people just picking these up new from the factory, or are they grabbing them from junk yards? No wiring involved, simple bolt up?

Why is a custom intake needed on these GT style turbos?

Are there not any brandname 3" turbo inlet pipes out there? Must be custom?

After looking more carefully at the spool characteristics of these turbos, the 2871R seems more appealing over the 3071R. That 3071 just spools so late.....

Ok, off to do more research, thanks.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:57 PM
4th Gear

I really can't answer any of your questions, because I have a 12v 2.8 and have never tuned/built/modified a car ever in my life, but I want to pipe in and say that you have got to be the smartest n00b ever. You're actually reading the Newbie Guides and researching existing threads, and THEN asking in-depth, detailed questions for further clarification! I vote this thread should be made a sticky, title changed to "Newbies: Look Here For How To Go About Asking Questions".

Welcome to AudiForums, ryboj! And good luck to you!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm make believe

Cincy.... when reading newbie guide v 2.0, it mentions under the GT28RS area that ALL new mounts are needed. Does this mean you need to buy different kinds of new mounts, or just new mounts period? Is this to "refresh" the support areas or something? I didnt write the guide, just added some info. But w/o going back and reading it, i do believe what your refering to is that it is suggested that the motor and tranny mount(s) be upgrades with the increase in power. The stocks are so so and will hold the power, but stiffer mounts will keep the engine from rocking.

Also, when it says new suspension under the same turbo, are you saying more sportier springs/struts or just new suspension in general? A sport tuned suspension suspension should be considered since the car will have about 2x the power. So upgraded shocks/springs or coilovers should be upgraded to help control the car with the increase in power. Its not required like above, just highly recommended

Are there alternatives to the 3" VR6 MAF, or is this just the proven way? The stock housing (not the element) gets restrictive at a certain point and needs to be enlarged to handle the airflow needed. Also the sw is written for them so you have to use them

Are people just picking these up new from the factory, or are they grabbing them from junk yards? No wiring involved, simple bolt up? There are used ones on the forums, sold online, or come in the kits used. You just undo the clamps for the intake and the 2 security torx bits and then install your stock maf in the new housing and then back into the intake.

Why is a custom intake needed on these GT style turbos? The stock turbo inlet pipe (tip) is for a 1.5" inlet and most turbos have atleast a 3" inlet. Plus the manifold move the turbo to a differnt location.

Are there not any brandname 3" turbo inlet pipes out there? Must be custom? If you buy a kit, they come with the intake. if you make your own 'kit', you need to make your own.

After looking more carefully at the spool characteristics of these turbos, the 2871R seems more appealing over the 3071R. That 3071 just spools so late..... The gt30 turbine wheel is slightly larger to flow way more air. The differnce in spool is only about 300 or so rpms.It basically comes down to how much power you really want. If about 350awhp is you max, the 2871r will get you there. If you want room to grow, the 3071r can do that.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 PM

MrFlip: Thanks for welcoming me aboard, appreciate that. So far, this place has been super friendly and even though some ofthese q's have been answered somewhere on this board at some point, people are still answering them, so I'm grateful for that. Being that you've never modded a car, don'tdo it. It's EXTREMELY addictive I tell you!

Cinch, once again, thanks for putting that togetherfor me. All of it made perfect sense.

Looks like I need to discover more about what turbo kits thatare available out there, especially the GT style ones that are in my HP goal range. The ATP ones look promising, but the tuning software, the Mika stuff, not sure on how good their sw is compared to the likes of GIAC, etc.

Right now, checking out the below, but it's hard to navigate actual kit pricing.

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release041205.htm

Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm make believe

You want the longitude hardware kit with a real gt turbo. Avoid mika tuning at all cost. You really want to go with tapp for the tune and genisis for the injectors.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:53 PM

Got it. Ill start researching more since I'm not familiar with those brands whatsoever, thanks!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Site Moderator

Holy crap! Welcome ryboj, you do have to be the smartest noob ever if you can catch on that fast. The learing curve around here is.....................well lets just say.....................slow.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm make believe

*insert lame joke hear* [8D]

Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 AM

auditech: Thanks for welcoming me on man. I do hope after extensive snooping around on here and a few posts, it makes sense to get one of these. If not, at least I'll know a lot more about these sweet cars!

Don't worry, you might catch me asking a real noob question here sooner or later, haha.

cinch: Joke has been inserted!

I think there are a few good Eurotuners here in San Diego by the way,to help me out, so that's reassuring.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 PM

Ok, so it looks like I'll need:

1: Longitude BT hardware kit
2: Garrett BT 2871R or 3071R
3: Chris Tapp SW and Genisis injects + possibly dyno time
4: Inline Fuel Pump
5: 3" Turbo Inlet/Intake
6: VR6 MAF housing
7: ATP or the alike Exhaust Mani

It's a little over $4500 for the above parts

8: Stage 4/5 clutch $700-800
9: New stronger mounts everywhere ($ not sure)
10: Improved suspension; braking if money is left ($2k)
11: Downpipe with Cat ($300-400)
12: Exhaust, 2.75 or 3" ($500-800)
13: Possibly forged rods (scat or better)($350-500)
14: If desired, EGT/boost/AF LED display readout ($500)
15: FMIC ($700-900)

Looks like 9-10k+ for mods + car. It's going to go beyond my expected budget. I'll have to go back through this and see what can be shaved out, if anything. This would be the same cost as a used/modded Stage 2 or 3 B5 S4. Ouch.

What do well built (Stage III and above)and CLEAN (& no rust)'98-00 A4's go for these days?

Quick Reply: A4, can it easily and reliably handle more power?