B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 B5 Service How To...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 PM

DIY will be a good chance of building up a decent toolkit as tools cost a lot less than having someone else fix the car for you. I have owned a 96 A4 from new and now have a comprehensive tool selection and have saved a considerable sum as I do the majority of maintenance and repairs myself.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

I don't know about the non-turbo 1.8, but listen, I did not know ANYTHING about mechanics (aside from basic fluid-checking), in fact, I hated mechanic work... However, when I got my Audi, after paying close to $70 for a Full-Synthetic oil change I bought the Haynes manual and began doing my own oil changes... Fast forward a year and now I've re-fallen inlove with my car simply because I have done so much work on it, and I love it!

If you can, I would totally recommend you do your own work, I also have the Haynes manual and it covers almost everything you need, in fact, the list you posted is all covered by the Haynes. Anything other you can research online, once you get into the real advanced stuff and you know you love it, then invest in the Bentley manual and a VAGCOM.

As far as tools, you can borrow them and buy them as you go, you'll build yourself a nice set over time. For starters I'd recommend a basic metric wrench set and a breaker bar. But seriously, if you love your car, you'll love working on it.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:26 AM
1st Gear

Ya good advice duderseb, this is about 3 months later and i have replaced Air and oil filters, oil and sparkplugs. Replaced a few vacuum hoses and I got a cheap vagcom working last weekend. I really enjoy working on the car and to be honest i loved it before, but i love it even more now. The haynes manual is very good, i also sprung for a teng tools socket set (MR1234 i would highly recommend it) and some allan keys.

Next step is debadging!

Oh, i said earlier that i couldn't find simple instructions on the net for this stuff. Nonsense, for the beginner i would highly recommend http://www.fastaudi.net/library/

Last edited by Badman; 10-05-2009 at 04:28 AM.