B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 B5 engine to transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:21 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 B5 engine to transmission questions

I just bought my first Audi and I am excited to drive it.. but I can't until I replace the engine the previous owner destroyed. My question is will an engine from an automatic model bolt into my manual 5 speed model.( 1.8t vin. Code C fifth digit) I have done enough research to know they have a slightly different crank so my options I believe are swap out the crank, ( which I don't want to do) or grind the end of the crank off to allow for the pilot bearing and flywheel. Is this correct and can I get more details. A brief overview would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Ps:

I did read the thread about swapping transmissions from an automatic to manual but it's not exactly what I'm doing. I'm curious if I will run into any other issues. Oh and I can find engines from automatic models left and right but manual engines seem to be more scarce and expensive. Also I would assume that an automatic engine in general would have be treaded nicer... anywho. Thanks for reading.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Well...

I think I have done enough research now to know that I can easily slip in a motor from a slush box vehicle (automatic). Now my question... I've found a great running 98 passat for sale not to far away. Will I have any trouble putting an ( I'm assuming) aeb from the passat into my awm engine bay? Donor car.. '98 fwd 1.8t... fwd shouldn't matter correct?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Now my next question

Can I use a newer model engine such as the AMB? Or do I need to do more research.?

Rhetorical question I will be back..

Old 02-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Jtj250
I think I have done enough research now to know that I can easily slip in a motor from a slush box vehicle (automatic). Now my question... I've found a great running 98 passat for sale not to far away. Will I have any trouble putting an ( I'm assuming) aeb from the passat into my awm engine bay? Donor car.. '98 fwd 1.8t... fwd shouldn't matter correct?

As long as they are the same engine code, it will go right in. As I mentioned in the PM, if you use an engine from an automatic tranny, you will need to adapt the crank a little.

An AMB engine will not work, and AWM is a ton of work. ATW even is a little extra work. Best to stick with AEB

Old 02-05-2015, 02:32 PM

What year is your car / what engine code?

Redline is right, it's best/easiest to go with the same engine code as you have already.

FWD vs. Quattro makes no difference as far as the engine goes (it make a difference when you code the ECU, but I doubt you'll be doing that).

Old 02-05-2015, 03:44 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 a4 b5

I believe the bottom end engine code is awm.. I bought this with the head torn off and in the trunk with various other parts. The head looks rebuilt and it is an aeb head so I assume the where going to try and rebuild. . Not certain. I've crammed a lot of info the last 24 hours so... I'm assuming the aeb head did not come off the original engine. I'm not sure if all of the parts are there. My plan was to swap in a motor from a wrecked unit rather than trying to reassemble what I have.. I found a 99 passat engine from a pick and pull. It's cheap. .. anyway I am a pretty good mechanic I think. Every one I know asks me first before they go anywhere for repairs and I'm almost always correct in my diagnosis of problems but I chose not to work on most others vehicles aside from family and my own. If it's doable without the use of a mill or lathe (because I don't own) I can make it work. Anyways, I really appreciate your replies. I don't think it's a aeb bottom as stated above by ............ it is an '01. Will a 99 passat go in with minimal mods?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:34 PM

If your car is a 2001, which came with AWM head and 06A block from the factory, my recommendation is to stick with engines from a 2001 with AWM engine code. Here's why:
-'96-99 engines are AEB engine code, 058 block. Compared to AWM they mount their accessories like AC compressor differently, they lack the oil sensor in the oil pan, different emissions equipment, no VVT, and other different sensors/plugs. Not to mention a different fuel rail so your 2001's fuel rail/injectors might not be compatible.
So to swap in an AEB:
-you might need the accessories from an AEB like AC compressor, and fit that to your car. You would need the oil pan with oil sensor from an ATW. You would need to figure out how to use your AWM fuel injectors on the AEB intake manifold. You would have to either code out and/or put a resistor on the VVT plug. Some various sensors would need to be swapped to work in your 2001. You would need to modify your 2001's breather system since the AEB valve cover lacks a breather port.

-2000 engines are ATW engine code, 058 block. This is similar to the AEB list, except it does have the oil sensor and proper emissions components found on the AWM.
This would be a relatively simpler swap, but you may run into issues with the accessories, and would need to figure out VVT.

Last edited by MetalMan; 02-05-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Legal Moderator

Can we get some pictures of what exactly you have?

Old 02-17-2015, 06:04 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 b5 '01

I've decided to stay with the o6a.. for ease of transplant. . Now I have removed the engine and discovered that the crank seems to have the protrusion that the automatic has, that I was under the understanding that I would have to grind it off. Anyways I am over it. My next question would be will a front wheel drive clutch fit into my quatro. I've read and heard that they are the same clutch, and I have read and heard that they are different. Does anyone have any correct information.? It is an 01 Audi a4 1.8 turbo. Again my question is will a clutch from a front wheel drive work in an all wheel drive. I only ask because of the price difference.

Last edited by Jtj250; 02-18-2015 at 02:49 AM.

Quick Reply: A4 B5 engine to transmission questions