B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a4 b5 2001 AWM cheap interooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:00 PM
1st Gear
Default a4 b5 2001 AWM cheap interooler

Hi guys im planing to do the cheap-*** intercooler diy but as you know my stock intercooler has the pressure sensor or map attached to it. Is there a flange or a relocation kit for it? I know its not good to remove it. And I aint paying 900 bucks only for a sensor flange intercooler

Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Site Moderator

You'll likely have some unpleasant pressure drop if using a fmic w/k03. The stock smic is fine. The ecu checks manifold pressure through the map on DBW engines, and if there are inconsistencies with that, so will there be with your fuel and timing- possibly (almost certainly) causing a lack of performance. A loss of a few lbs of boost can be significant, especially if you're not chipped. It'll also take longer for manifold pressure to build if you are increasing the volume of space that the boost has to travel through. Remeber that the ecu compares what the N75 says and what the map sees. If there is a big enough gap (pressure drop) between the two then you'll be dealing with boost faults, CEL, limp mode, etc. If I were you I'd save that money for a chip if you don't have one, suspension, maintenance, etc.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 07-22-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
2nd Gear
Old 07-22-2010, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
You'll likely have some unpleasant pressure drop if using a fmic w/k03. The stock smic is fine. The ecu checks manifold pressure through the map on DBW engines, and if there are inconsistencies with that, so will there be with your fuel and timing- possibly (almost certainly) causing a lack of performance. A loss of a few lbs of boost can be significant, especially if you're not chipped. It'll also take longer for manifold pressure to build if you are increasing the volume of space that the boost has to travel through. Remeber that the ecu compares what the N75 says and what the map sees. If there is a big enough gap (pressure drop) between the two then you'll be dealing with boost faults, CEL, limp mode, etc. If I were you I'd save that money for a chip if you don't have one, suspension, maintenance, etc.
Thanks you both for clearing my question i appreciate it!! btw onepoint what if i changed the turbo later on to a gt28 or a gtrs would it be possible to use the fmic without all the cel limp mode etc. ?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear

^^^yes but you would need a proper tune

Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TeeterTawter
^^^yes but you would need a proper tune
hey teeter sorry about these ******* noob quest. but do you refer to proper tune as a/f and boost? or only boost. and would the stock smic work well with a gt28?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear

a/f and boost, as say if you go with a gtrs, you obviously cannot run on a stock tune. you would have to get a proper big turbo tune from unitronics http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ or some other company. the stock smic will work but not well.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TeeterTawter
a/f and boost, as say if you go with a gtrs, you obviously cannot run on a stock tune. you would have to get a proper big turbo tune from unitronics http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ or some other company. the stock smic will work but not well.
haha yeah i forgot to add more info but im going with a revo stg 3 maybe unitronics but this is my first option. If i get a tune i would be good with the fmic right? even if I went the k04 way with a k04 software probably giac?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 PM
2nd Gear

My ebay flange for my MAP with a DIY fmic

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
You'll likely have some unpleasant pressure drop if using a fmic w/k03. The stock smic is fine.
That is only correct if he goes with a FMIC that is way too big or goes with a core that has a large amount of pressure drop.

Fact is that most good FMIC cores will have less then 1psi of pressure drop even on a K03.

My car was used for R&D/testing for the Evoms dbw B5 FMIC kit way back in 2001. I saw no big pressure drop and even gained power because the ecu wasn't pulling back as much timing even during a 1 gear pull.

So a FMIC is very helpful even with a K03.

The key is to get the correct size FMIC for the size turbo being used, they are rated by HP. Problem is too many people go and buy cores that are good for 600-700hp when they aren't even making 400hp.

Quick Reply: a4 b5 2001 AWM cheap interooler