B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 Avant cooling fans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Did it get you the girl?
hahahaha no, its was too make a whole bunch of people jealous of me, that worked, even after the sercret got out i still had people PMing me saying "dude do you really have a ferrari?" so yeah its fun,

Old 09-10-2009, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
From the pics, there appears to be chrome window trim, so I'm assuming this is a 12V 2.8 V6.

There are 2 fans, one electric, one mechanical. The electric one can be found used at an Audi-wreckers such as Shokan Coachworks in Shokan, NYhttp://www.shokan.com/ or new at ECSTuning.

Check Shokan for a used viscous fan clutch if necessary as well. I just don't see how both fans would fail at the same time, seeing as one is mechanical and the other electric. I would recommend a more pin-pointed diagnosis on this first.

An electric fan shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks, new. The viscous clutch should be about a hundred bucks or so, but the labor involves removing the front bumper and radiator assembly. It's not for the beginner, but it's certainly worth doing yourself if you have someone to help. $1600 bucks is pricey to replace the fans. They should be giving you the fans and a timing belt for that!

Other more common failures include the water pump, thermostat, and coolant temp sensor. Might want to look into these before throwing a fan at it.

And do the timing belt while you're at if you are not 1,000 % positive it has been done already (80K mile interval).

P.S. Nice wag!
yeah i kinda of firgured the price she got was a little rediculous, and all of the stuff you said was a good idea, but i dont think i said this, but what my situtation is that i will pay for half of my car ($2000 ish) and when my dad gets a job he'll put in $2000 and pay for insurence, so what my plan is buy this sick thing, fix all of that stuff you were talking about with my uncle, he working with exoctic, classics, imports, european, you name it, so i was gonna ask for some help from him. and yeah since i dont see my dad getting a job soon, we would just have it the garage, unisursed (yes i check, were i live its legal to own an unisured car) and not drive untill, one i fixed all of the crap, and two it got all of the insurece and stuff like that taken care of, but yeah, i think i'll be able to to all of that stuff when my dad gives me his half of the deal, cause right away, i'll fix the engine, fans, water pump, timing, even though its not that old, it will need it anyway (the belt that is) but yeah it would just sit.

And also, its not a rear fan mr. phil its a "back up fan" atleast thats what the owner told me, she said she had a mechanics degree, and kinda sounded like she knew what she was talking about, but IDK well see,

And by nice wag do you mean the dog? its not mine, that flicker account is the owners account, i havent bought the car yet, but if my parents give the ok, (which im pretty confident they will) i will go get it, i was just asking for furture reference and help

Thanks again

Ferrari

Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ferrariowner123

And by nice wag do you mean the dog? i
Ha, no it's a wag... a wagon! Nice wag!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

ah haha well thanks man, like i said i hope i can get it, the owner, broke her phone aperently and works alot or something, so i havent herd from her today, but im gonna try and set up a date to go see it, just to say that i did, but it will have to be pretty thrashed for me to say no.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

so i went and saw the car today, its pretty rough to some of the pics she showed me like the front bumper looks like hell, same with the wheels, they literly have caked on brake dust, does anyone know how to git rid of that kinda stuff? i'll make a new more focused thread on it, but just wondering if anyone who looks in here would know.

It heats up hella fast, like less than a mile, the temp gauge was pretty much at half way up, but other than that i really liked it, i still think its a good deal because how much money id invest into it right away would be way under my budget that i intially started with, and it would make it last alot longer, and thankfully there is really only one tire is deaperate need of replacement (she went el cheapo and did them one at a time).

But the stereo wokred great, interior was in good shape for the miles it had, it didnt have CD changer which i thought was werid? (did that come as an option?) and what was also werid, is the guy she bought it from (the guy who did all of the mods) had installed a high perforamce, stage II clutch into it, which was a plus as well as a minus. The plus is it will last a hell of a long time, and will be alot stronger, The minus is, i think it will be hard to learn on, and to get use too, (my dad drove it, didnt stall it once, even after not drving a clutch in over 10 years, but he also drove a 1972 camero, that according to him had a clutch three times harder than the audi) but even after all of this, i still love it, i still want it and im gonna think it over and hopefully make her an offer soon before it goes.

Im also gonna make a call into shokan to find a new bumper, the fans, and some other little parts, and then get the timing belt water pump, and temp sensor done, and put that new tire on, and then after all of that, have it sit untill my dad gets a job and it will finacially safe to insurse a third car.

and to kinda finally get to my question, its not the mechanical fan that went out on the engine, its the clutch fan (is that the same thing?) and the aux fan, so can someone explain to me where the clutch fan is, how hard would it be to install, and where to get a replacement for cheap?

Thanks again to everyones patience and gracious help

Ferrari

EDIT: oh and does anyone know if the bumpers from an A4 seadan fit an avant? im pretty sure just by looking at it the front seems like a direct fit, but what about the rear? and ive asked this before, but could you switch the steering wheel out with any of this generation (B5) and could you switch it from say this year (98) to 01 with the stereo controls and make them work? im assuming you need the newer stereo to make the steering wheel buttons work?
Thanks again

Last edited by ferrariowner123; 09-12-2009 at 06:30 PM.