B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 Avant cooling fans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 Avant cooling fans?

Hey there!
Im looking for some advise on a car that im very serious about getting

Its a 1998 a4 avant for only $2500 with pretty low miles, but the thing is sick, 19" wheels, lowered, S4 grille, and the only thing it needs (according to the Owner, seems legit) is the main and back up cooling fans, now she said that the firestone dealer said it was gonna be $1600 bucks, now im no ASE machanic but im pretty good at getting my hands dirty when it comes to cars, and i was wondering how hard would it be to replace these by myself, i cant image its no more than buying the replacement parts and unbolting the old ones? PLEASE HELP ME OUT FAST, i dont think it will be around for very long, and i dont wanna let this deal go by

Thanks

Ferrari

Old 09-10-2009, 12:48 AM
4th Gear

post some pics of the car.. what about the belts? u check under the car for sludge and oil build up?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

yeah i havent bought it, and yeah i've asked about belts and service, shes had it for about 3 years and bought it like that with al of the mods, and she said and can prove that there was regular service,

heres the link she gave me to some of the pics,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2328696...n/photostream/

Old 09-10-2009, 01:39 AM
4th Gear

just a question and dont take it the wrong way... but if u own a ferrari why the hell are u worried about maintenance on a car haha

Old 09-10-2009, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

hahah i dont own a ferrari, i made is a joke a couple of years ago as a joke and it stuck, i use it for all my user names, but getting back to business what do you think, could i do this work myself with the help of my uncle? my uncle is a n experienced dude, like he knows his ****,

Thanks Phil and to anyone else who replys;

Ferrari

Old 09-10-2009, 02:00 AM
4th Gear

well i wrote u back... if that oesnt solve ur problem reply on here and we can go from there so other people know whats up too

Old 09-10-2009, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

hey man thanks alot, it really means alot, so i now know that im gonna get that audi, YEAH I FINALLY CAN GET A CAR!!! this has been like 8 months in the making looking for the right car and i finally found it!! sweet!!!

Thanks Phil!!

Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 AM
3rd Gear

From the pics, there appears to be chrome window trim, so I'm assuming this is a 12V 2.8 V6.

There are 2 fans, one electric, one mechanical. The electric one can be found used at an Audi-wreckers such as Shokan Coachworks in Shokan, NYhttp://www.shokan.com/ or new at ECSTuning.

Check Shokan for a used viscous fan clutch if necessary as well. I just don't see how both fans would fail at the same time, seeing as one is mechanical and the other electric. I would recommend a more pin-pointed diagnosis on this first.

An electric fan shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks, new. The viscous clutch should be about a hundred bucks or so, but the labor involves removing the front bumper and radiator assembly. It's not for the beginner, but it's certainly worth doing yourself if you have someone to help. $1600 bucks is pricey to replace the fans. They should be giving you the fans and a timing belt for that!

Other more common failures include the water pump, thermostat, and coolant temp sensor. Might want to look into these before throwing a fan at it.

And do the timing belt while you're at if you are not 1,000 % positive it has been done already (80K mile interval).

P.S. Nice wag!

Last edited by Tweaked; 09-10-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:26 AM
4th Gear

well both the main and secondary fan are bad so i suggested he lookin into flex a lite dual elec fans since he has to replace them both anyways... but i wasnt much help for rear fan... never heard of one nor do i know how to fix/replace it lol

Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ferrariowner123
hahah i dont own a ferrari, i made is a joke a couple of years ago as a joke
Did it get you the girl?

Quick Reply: A4 Avant cooling fans?