B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 1.8T Quattro clicking..why??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default A4 1.8T Quattro clicking..why??

So the other night at a car hang up I was revving my engine up for a few people that wanted to hear it, i would rev it up to about 6k rpm, I didn't hold it there just rev it. After doing that for about 10 seconds, I stopped and I heard my engine clicking. I turned it off and about 2 hours later when I was going home I heard it again whenever I was idling or starting, idk if it does when I'm drive. Now I did drop a bolt and couldnt find it the other day (I have the pan on the bottom on the car) and it hasn't fallen out that I know of. Im not sure if when I was revving the engine it fell and now it's hitting something or my
Engine is clicking. Any ideas????

Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
So the other night at a car hang up I was revving my engine up for a few people that wanted to hear it, i would rev it up to about 6k rpm, I didn't hold it there just rev it. After doing that for about 10 seconds, I stopped and I heard my engine clicking. I turned it off and about 2 hours later when I was going home I heard it again whenever I was idling or starting, idk if it does when I'm drive. Now I did drop a bolt and couldnt find it the other day (I have the pan on the bottom on the car) and it hasn't fallen out that I know of. Im not sure if when I was revving the engine it fell and now it's hitting something or my
Engine is clicking. Any ideas????
doubt is a bolt i think that little free show you gave people just cost you something inside your cylinder head specially if you revved it and the car was still cold, poor car. holding it up @ 6k or not you still did it for 10 sec i mean come on you basically did the same thing as holding it lol shame on you.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Sounds like oil level/pressure/sludge issues. Top it off if needed, put half a can of Seafoam in it, drive 75 miles, and do an oil change. And stop revving the **** out of your engine like that.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Sounds like oil level/pressure/sludge issues. Top it off if needed, put half a can of Seafoam in it, drive 75 miles, and do an oil change. And stop revving the **** out of your engine like that.
i agree why even rev the engine in the first place , so bad for the valve train well at least in most cars that is i seen so many engine blow at car meets its epic.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 AM
2nd Gear

It has plenty of oil in it, and I just did an oil change 600 miles ago. Also when I was revving the engine, it was already warned up because I drove 20 miles at 60 mph. Sounds like I was just being an idiot and now have a problem

Old 09-16-2012, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear

Ok so I turne it on this morning and listened and it sounds like something sticking, so I'm going to run some techron through and see if it helps

Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 AM

Seafoam it. Sounds like a sludge issue it be more beneficial to pull the valve cover and pan before you do more damage.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear

Is Seafoam better than techron? And what do you mean pull the valve cover and Pan it? (I'm not super mechanically included)

Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 AM

id say seafoam is top dog in the cleanliness field.

take off the valve cover and take a picture. take off the oil pan and take a picture. Sludge is pretty evident. Your noises seem to be caused my lack of oil, most valve train noises are cause by lack of oil. === very very bad. The sludge will clog the oil pick up, which is in the pan. The pick up and pump will deliver the oil to the head, if its not getting there your running your valve train dry. very bad. Atleast take the valve cover off since its a fairly easy job and can be done with a 10mm socket. This will show everyone the head and we can see the problems.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear

K I will take it off when I get some time tomorrow and post a picture

Quick Reply: A4 1.8T Quattro clicking..why??